Bitten by Parrot Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
when stingrays attack

my wife and i were in the Cayman Islands, feeding stingrays at Stingray City (Sandbar)

well... after feeding a few bits of squid, i wiped my hand on my wife's butt

ten seconds later, my wife jumps up and screams

stingray sucked her butt ... left a big hickie too

(this is why people are superior ... we use our BIG BRAINS to stay out of this sort of trouble..... :wink:)

That's too funny. I recall that the operation I snorkled with in stingray city many years ago specifically warned us about the dangers of touching parts of your body or other people after feeding the squid to the stingrays.

Maybe they stopped doing that for the entertainment value :D

That sounds even more fun than putting hot dogs in peoples snorkels! ;-)

~Jess

I was viciously attacked by a large group of damslefish in Zijua, Mexico. They were drawing blood the little bastids...

H2Andy:
when stingrays attack

my wife and i were in the Cayman Islands, feeding stingrays at Stingray City (Sandbar)

well... after feeding a few bits of squid, i wiped my hand on my wife's butt

ten seconds later, my wife jumps up and screams

stingray sucked her butt ... left a big hickie too

(this is why people are superior ... we use our BIG BRAINS to stay out of this sort of trouble..... :wink:)

That's freaking hilarious!!! :D I'm sure you're wife didn't think so though! LOL:wink:

pickledboodah:
A few years back my wife and I were snorkling @ Beaver lake in Arkasas. I hear her let out a loud yelp and then see her swim FAST for the boat. We get on the boat and she says a bluegill bit her on her :mooner:. Sure enough, she had a large welt and some broken skin. After a dazed second or two, we both doubled over with laughter :rofl3:. I took a picture, but I don't think she would appreciate me posting it :no.

Finally! Somebody else can VERIFY that bluegill DO bite!! My husband has never believed me when I said I've been bitten by bluegill! He will now... I'm showing him your post! LOL :D

Capt Dave:
I have never heard of anything like this. We did nothing to harass this fish and had no food with us. :confused:

I have heard of morays, barracudas, and trigger fish occasionally bitting, but never a parrot fish chasing us over 250' of bottem and the entire water column.

Wow, I would never have even thunk that a Parrot fish would behave in such a way!

64322141_eWyFpsWt.jpg

They look so happy and friendly! :confused:

bvmjethead:
If that was my daughter I'd be finding out what Parrott fish tastes like....

:popcorn:
ask Jamdiver :D

daclozer:
I was viciously attacked by a large group of damslefish in Zijua, Mexico. They were drawing blood the little bastids...

I have been routinely attacked by Damselfish on many reef dives in the Keys. Those little gals have some guts! The first time it happened I just about jumped out of my wetsuit!

They generally go for the fingers, and it's happened enough that I'm now somewhat used to it. Very territorial!

I've never been bothered by Trigger Fish. In Coz last month we saw a LOT of Trigger Fish (love those Queen triggerFish), and they followed us around a bit on a couple of occasions, but never bothered us, and often were a bit shy.

However the number one diver injury treated by hospitals in the South Pacific is Trigger fish bites, or so I read.

I think I'll bring gloves to Florida

Bluegill will and do bite and draw blood.
One dive I had them pulling on both ears and my lower lip at the same time while having students doing mask clearing skills at Table Rock Lake in Missouri.
The one on my lip took out such a big chunk and I was bleeding so bad that the students were asking me if I was ok and needed to end the dive.

When it was warm I would tell the male students to wear at least a t-shirt so their ahhmm nipples wouldn't get attacked.

And to think I used to feed sharks for a living and I am more worried about the "Attacking Bluegill".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom