Bit of advice please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackPatch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

Ok, I have the option of buying a US Divers First stage linked to a (Believed to be) US Divers Conshelf XIV Reg, US Divers SE2 reg secondary, US Divers SPG with Compass and hoses from my local LDS, (Same place I took my OW and Dry suit certifications).

Jack (Owner of LDS) used this setup as a pool, OW rig. It has been thoroughly serviced throughout its lifetime and although just over 20 years old looks to be in great condition with just the normal wear and tear of any rental / pool / teaching piece of equipment.

I have not had a chance to use this yet but will try over the weekend of the 29th Sept.

What should I be paying for a setup like this with verifiable history of service ?

I do not care that the kit is 20 plus years old. The guy is a wizz with diving equipment (Diving professionally and restoring/repairing gear for 30 plus years) I know that it will work.

Last Question is : are the old Conshlef XIV's rated for Cold Water usage? I dive in Albertan Lakes (Edmonton area water temps vary between "Frickin Cold to not so Frickin Cold") with my first trip to the Pacific coming up next year.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Pete.

Im not sure if they are able to do cold water diving, but I would say for just the 1st and 2nd stage look at $150

I'd never buyanything used especially not that old! Especially when you hear stories of OldTimer divers using the wrong service kits to make their stuff diveworthy(Especially in Edmonton) When you can get a brand new coldwater set up thatbreathes better, is more reliable and has a longer life then the one your buyingfor around $1100. Especially withadvancements such as dry valve technology in your first stage and the abilityto adjust your reg on the fly I would have a hard time even paying $100 forthat! Biggest thing I remind newstudents/costumers is it is life support why take chances buying old technology and worn out gear!

Don't listen to the nonsense about using the wrong service kit.....the 9000-01 kit services all Conshelfs and Titan....the 9000 kit services the Cousteau, Spectrum and SEA and is identical except for the shape of the filter.
The two main parts (seat and balance chamber o ring) have been used from 1965 to present on ALL US Divers and AquaLung diaphragm regs.
Basically if there's a blue HP seat in the kit it'll work. Someone would have to try very, very hard to use the wrong parts....heck, even the Mares seat, o ring and diaphragm would work fine.

Diaphragm regs by their nature do well in cold water as do metal 2nd stages.
The 1st stage can be sealed with current environmental kit....I'd probably only do this if water temp was in the 30's.

What is the model of the 1st stage?
Reason I ask is the 12, 14 and SE only have 3 LP ports and you'll need 4 for your dry suit. (The 21, SE2, SE3 and 22 have 4 LP ports)

Max I'd pay for a just serviced Conshelf with metal primary and octo would be $150 if it was really mint....$80 to $120 if not.
(this low price is not a reflection on the regs quality but more on how common they are and the perceived notion some people have that a 20 year old reg must be out of date and new designs are better (not true of course).

---------- Post Merged at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Just saw that it was the SE2.....It has one 1/2" primary LP port and three 3/8" LP ports.

The service kit is as stated above and is not normally an issue.

Ask the LDS how much they will charge to install the dry environment kit for the first stage and factor that into your purchase decision. Extra LP ports can be added with an adapter.

As for benefits: You will find the metal second stage acts as a huge heat sink in cold water; They also are not prone to dry mouth like the plastic and graphite regulators are; etc.

A well maintained metal conshelf will likely outlast you. My XIV was made in 1978 and will probably outlive me. I don't believe you can expect that kind of reliability with much of what is being sold today...

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

I can hardly call. Dry valve technology an advancement:)

I know a guy who dives those conshelves with no issues here in Lake Huron and Georgian bay. And we usually get a lot of freedlows from the regs here.

That is a solid and useful regulator but at 150 dollars unless it is pristine/mint, I would pass. That said, it is among the best regulators ever built and is extremeley rugged and reliable and unlike most plastic junk today, may well still be useful in yet another 20 years.

N

Biggest thing I remind newstudents/costumers is it is life support why take chances buying old technology and worn out gear!

So you scare your students and customers and tell them self-serving lies? What shop do you work for so people can avoid you?

---------- Post Merged at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:32 PM ----------

That is a solid and useful regulator but at 150 dollars unless it is pristine/mint, I would pass. N

I don't think the price is that bad for the whole setup. providing it was serviced. Servicing usually runs $75 to $100.

If everything is recently serviced (1st stage, 2nd stage and spg) and the hoses are in good shape, I'd say that the regulator is worth $75 - $80 and the SPG/Depth Gauge $50 - $60 for a $125 - $140 total. Also is there either an octo or lp hose included, you mentioned hoses, just not how many. The SE2 is a great workhorse, like the Conshelf XIV and SE before it you shouldn't be concerned about the regulator being only 20 years old, new by my standards. If you can get it for a good price, go for it.

I am counting the SPG as zero worth. The USD gauges of that era, assuming it is 20 years old, a good question to ask, are plastic construction with if I recall a screw down cover and a tendency to crack at the fitting end or leak around the cover. Hoses tend to go stiff over a couple of decades and while probably safe to use, may want to replace for supple new hoses for comfort if nothing else.

Then like I said, if the regulator itself is not beat up and attractive condition with all chrome intact and the first stage sealing face is clean and undamaged, then it could be worth the 150 as a good clean Conshelf is a fine regulator.

N

Back
Top Bottom