bio fins, aquatics, xpert zoom or volo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleythedog

Registered
Reaction score
hello

I have a pair of Mares Quattro that consistenly give me leg cramps (hamstrings), usually on second or 3rd dives of the day. I am considering a split fin or the mares volo, something a little less stiff. I am looking at:
Apollo Bio Fins XT
Atomic Aquatics (is there a "stiffer" color?)
Tusa XZoom
Mares Volo Power

I want something a little stiffer than a "standard" split fin, if there is such a thing as standard. Most of my diving is tropical and wreck with some challenging currents at times. I have read all the posts on currents, control, etc of using split fins so would like to keep this thread off the pro/cons of split versus paddle. At this point getting cramps is harder to manage than loosing some precision with split fins. I figure I can learn to do all the alternative kicks with splits, getting cramps and ending dives, thats harder for me to accept (not to mention safety factor). I am looking for folks who have personal experience with these specific fins I listed (or comparable). Yes, I know the Mares Volo are not split, borrowed a pair last weekend and felt faster and even more agile. I can handle my Quattros just fine, they dont feel heavy or stiff, I move in them just fine, just hamstring cramps.

thanks for any info
fs.

Well, I can tell you that the urban myth of splits not being good in currents is just that, a myth.

A quick review of the physics of free body motion in water will confirm that if a fin is the fastest in still water, it will be the fastest in a current.

The only question that remains is then picking the fin that for you gives the speed you need to beat the currents you dive in ? This may or may not be a split fin (depending on your technique, kick etc).

I've tried the Apollo XT and found it a little too stiff for me, so I went with the slightly less stiff yellow biofin. (The blue and yellow Apollo's are stiffer than the black but not as stiff as the XT). However a bunch of people here use the XT and seem to like it.

The trade off is the maneuvering is less crisp. Plus I can't do back kicks with the Apollo fins, although it apparently is possible.

Why not try them all just to be sure which one works best for you ?

I have a a pair of Tusa Xzoom and a pair of Volos. I have also tried the yellow Apollo bios and the Atomic Aquatics.
I can't imagine ever getting leg cramps with the yellow bio fins. They were easy, fast, and smooth.
The Atomics seemed to offer a little more stiffness and manuverability.
The XZooms are very comparible to the Bios.
My favorite fins are the Volos. I am not in a hurry underwater, and I do a lot of drift dives. They are the perfect balance between power and control. It is possible to get a leg cramp with them if you are really hammering.
If I were getting fins to truly avoid leg cramps, I would get the biofins.

bradshsi:
Well, I can tell you that the urban myth of splits not being good in currents is just that, a myth. ?

I went to the Apollo Bio's earlier this year and did about 60 warm water dives. This means a 3mil wetsuit BP/Wing, no weight and an AL80. I loved these fins. Having had 5 knee surgeries these things were heaven.

A couple of weeks ago i did my first cold water dives with them on the U-853. cold water is a dry suit and 16lbs of lead HP120 and a pony. The fin provided very little thrust pushing all the weight. If I was in a current I would have been screwed.

I'm going back to a paddle fins for cold water.

Dave

DWJ:
I went to the Apollo Bio's earlier this year and did about 60 warm water dives. This means a 3mil wetsuit BP/Wing, no weight and an AL80. I loved these fins. Having had 5 knee surgeries these things were heaven.

A couple of weeks ago i did my first cold water dives with them on the U-853. cold water is a dry suit and 16lbs of lead HP120 and a pony. The fin provided very little thrust pushing all the weight. If I was in a current I would have been screwed.

Dave
Dave: As pointed out many times, a fast fin in no or little current is the same in heavy current. The fact that you do not "feel" the push off is, sometimes, disconcerting. You may prefer a wider "heavier" kick. The bio-fin XT, and other stiffer versions using the split fin technology, will provide the low end torque you want in
colder waters with more weight and stronger current.

www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_XT.htm

I prefer the XT models. I have been diving since 1972. I like a wider scissors style kick and I want a bit of "feel" and low end torque.

The original bio-fin pro models have the least effort and the best speeds. You would not have been "screwed" in current. Just kick faster with a flutter kick and you would be more than fine.

DWJ:

Dave

Went down to 95 feet in Blue Water, Al., at 52 degrees yesterday... Had Atomic splits. Absolutely no problem at all finning, and had as much thrust at the bottom, as at the 88 degree surface (we were three thermoclines down -- froze my buns off in a 5/4mm, but the fins were stellar).

I haven't tried the Apollo bios, but I hear many good things about them. The Atomic splits are a bit stiffer, if you like that feel. I'm 100% satisfied with the Atomics (color is of no consequence where stiffness is concerned, with the Atomics).

I'm *very* susceptible to cramps, and the splits to a great job minimizing them...

Good luck with whatever you choose -- like most gear, it boils down to personal preference...

I have a a pair of Tusa Xzoom and a pair of Volos and I love them both

harleythedog:
Apollo Bio Fins XT
Atomic Aquatics (is there a "stiffer" color?)

Liquid blue (? or the light blue color) are stiffer. You can do somewhat of a frog kick in them. My buddy has them but is now using Mares Quattros. :D

I have both the Apollo XTs (which i lost one side to the ocean!) and the Mares Quattro.

If you get leg cramps with the Quattros, dont go with the XTs. They are indeed a stiff pair of splits, and they are efficient. However, if resistance is the cause of your cramps, the XTs are not going to make them go away.

The Tusa and Volos are much easier on the legs.

Mares Volo Power gets my vote, its strange when you first use them because you dont even know your wearing them!

Freds :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom