Bio-fin benefits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy0918

Reaction score
I am based in Japan and generally dive tropical.

For shore diving I use Jet Fin Revos with Apollo boots(because good arch support and thicker soles fit the large Revo foot pockets better).

For boat, I use full-foot Gull Super-Mews.(Ironically, I found out Kinugawa Rubber makes both fins).

I keep hearing that bio-fins add a great improvement on air consumption/effort. Does anyone have experience that says this is the case and would be a positive improvement over the fins I currently use?

I used to use Jet Fins and Blades, but decided to try the Apollo Bio Fins about 5-6 years ago. I've never looked back. I would occasionally get cramps with the Blades, but almost never do with the Bio Fins. I worried about the power of split fins, but only notice it when a stiff current kicks up. However, I still travel with the Blades since they are significantly lighter.

I just got my bio fins.. Went to Cozumel to test them out and wow.. I noticed I dont kick as much at all now.. It seems just a few kicks are needed to get the propulsion you want to get to whatever object you desire.
I did have splits before. The Tusa Xpert Zoom extra stiff. The bio fins I have are not the super stiff ones although I think I would be fine with them.

I am very happy with the fins.

scuba labs has very good test results for apollo and atomic split fins.

I have atomic splits and was thinking about getting a pair of the apollo c-pro because I heard they were stiffer than the regular apollos. Has anybody used both of these (atomics and apollos) and if so, how do they compare? Is the foot pocket fit the same on both? Does one brand weigh less than the other.... for travel purposes would prefer lighter weight.

Apollo's made of big slabs of solid rubber. Very heavy. Atomic would be lighter.

I use my apollo's in the tropics and luv them. I use jets when I dive dry. Compared to the other splits I have tried, I prefer the apollo's.

To each thier own though.

i just bought a pair of the atomic splits. have not used them yet. lds does not carry apollo but this is what i was told by the owner (who is trustworthy). "atomics are lighter. not much diff in perfrormance." scuba labs pretty much says the same but gives slight edge to apollo.

My daughter has Atomics and I have Apollos, both size large. The foot pockets are really close, my big fat 7 mm thick boots seem to fit in both about the same. The Atomics are definitely lighter. In fact I think they are positively bouyant, while the Bio Fins (especially with spring straps) are a little negative. The Atomics are actually a little longer as well, although that's just a note that doesn't really mean anything. They seem to perform about the same.

Back
Top Bottom