Bimini???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've heard that Bimini is considered a unique destination because of its non-diving activities, namely wild dolphin encounters. For some reason though, I've never heard of Bimini being billed as a big dive destination. How is the diving in Bimini compared to the rest of the Caribbean (say, Grand Cayman)? What is the diving there like (walls, sharks etc)? Is the dolphin encounter really as good as advertised? I'm a left coaster, so I'm lost on whether I should try the Bahamas or stick to the Pacific.

I'd also like to know about logistics of diving Bimini. Is the only way to get there really by seaplane, or do they have a functioning airport. Also, if anyone has any dive op/hotel recommendations...

Just Curious

Thanks,
Mantasscareme

we booked our liveaboard w/ blackbeards and they port at bimini midwk. we did multiple dives around bimini. i never visualized any dolphins scuba diving. on our way back to freeport we had spinner dolphins do there thing around the boat for about 15min or so. as far as walls. we only did one wall dive. as far as reef life there is plenty. they even include a shark feed. carribean reef sharks are the ones you usually encounter. vis. in my book nothing beats cozumel. but it was descent. i don't know what the pacific offers, but bahamas was about a 8 out of 10. many octos, cuttlefish, box fish, triggers, groupers, remoras. you name it. the gingerbreads are my fav. i will tell you that blackbeards is a camp at sea. i love sailing so it did not matter. ck it out. for the price you can not beat it i did 20 dives in 5 days. and if you book it ask for capt grayson.
michelle

I have always heard Bimini referred to a poor mans vacation. (and it's the only place I have dived outside the United States). The vacation I took was years ago. Lots of sea life, crystal clear water, blue skies, very little night life. Beautiful. We took a 6 seater plane outa Ft. Lauderdale.

We just dove there off the Nekton Pilot. Stopped offshore both ways b4 going to Cay Sal. Tuna Alley was probably the best dive there, it's a fast deep, drift dive. The Strip was way over-rated imho, it's just several coral patches surrounded by sand.

The water's relatively clear, we saw a few sharks and a couple of turtles, lots of fish. Probably 40-60' vis on a good day. Nothing like Cayman though.

If you want to Snorkel with the dolphins, these are the people who invented it there: http://www.biminiundersea.com/

Note they don't dive with them, for diving you'd have to go to UNEXSO on Grand Bahama island.

The other diveop is: http://www.scubabimini.com/

It's a pretty small island. I personally couldn't see spending a week there. Also the Hemingway's bar (Compleat Angler) burned down about two years ago.

Since Chalk's had their fatal seaplane crash in Ft. Lauderdale harbour, I think they've grounded all the seaplanes. Bimini Island Air - http://www.flybia.com/ is another option.

In case you're not aware of it, there's some good info on all the islands at the Bahamas Diving Association website: http://www.bahamasdiving.com/

Probably on the bottom of the 15 plus dive vacations I have taken around the caribbean and central america. Diving OK, Accomodations Poor, Restaurants Poor, and Shopping Poor. Some good diving long boat ride away, therefore live aboard probably best best if interested.

Personally, I loved the diving around Bimini & I also was diving aboard the Blackbeard's line.
The viz was great & water warm - (82F at 130' in May)
No nightlife unless you're a big drinker. -Bring panties fitting to leave at the "End of the World" :D -
I saw at least 2 dive operators operating from the island although I didn't take note of them. Sea plane or boat from Lauderdale or Miami seem to be your options. There might be air or water service from the greater Bahamian Islands, I know the island "Mail boat" makes a route to all the islands but no idea of schedule.
I'd recommend, if time allows, you check out the Lemon Shark Reasearch Station on Bimini, Kinda interesting. I'm sure you could see many of the sharks depending where & when you dive as the research lab does tag & record everything from lemon, reef, hammerheads & beyond when they drop lines to do their studies.
It is an island big on fishing because of the deep reefs & walls & those fishermen are staying somewhere. The accomodations may not be "The Hilton" (no idea as I didn't stay on island) but the warmth of the people will more than make up for that.
I've also dove from New Providence (Nassau) & Paradice Island - busier nightlife, but would not venture back for the diving, however an easier to get to Bahamian location might be Grand Bahama (Freeport), Abaco or Andros.

As for the comparison to The Cayman Diving, I'll let you know after I get back in November......if you're interested this is my post on it, cheap dive vacation if it fit your schedule.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=153575

Cheers, Darryl.

I second what CowBoy 2 said. Did Blackbeards in June...20 dives that week...had a great time. Diving was great. Port night in Bimini was fun, if you like to drink...

Just a different atmosphere. See my trip report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=146236

Oops!! -
-Bring panties fitting to leave at the "End of the World" -
sorry Manta, just realized you're male.....it's something you gotta see if you get to Bimini - a world renowned "panty bar"

sjspeck:
We just dove there off the Nekton Pilot. Stopped offshore both ways b4 going to Cay Sal. Tuna Alley was probably the best dive there, it's a fast deep, drift dive. The Strip was way over-rated imho, it's just several coral patches surrounded by sand.

The water's relatively clear, we saw a few sharks and a couple of turtles, lots of fish. Probably 40-60' vis on a good day. Nothing like Cayman though.

Tuna Alley is actually off Cat Cay, where the Pilot cleared customs on day one. Bimini was the last day. The strip is full of life, but small. The island is neat for about 2 hours then it is just hot. I didn't go on the shore excursion this time, but having been there once before, really didn't need too. Since the Compleat Angler burnt, there is only one other small bar, from which to escape the heat, but I don't think its much on air conditioning.

Back
Top Bottom