Bikini Atoll, deep air for everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Sometime I can't help but debate with some of you folks about what our exact max end should be. However, I don't think anyone should dive beyond their training and I agree that narcosis is bad and should not be taken lightly therefore He is good. I have customers who want to dive Bikini. I too would like to see some of those wrecks but... what I have read about the operation bothers me. They will take AOW certified divers to 170 on air and walk them through their deco. I have read dive mag pieces where the author stated he started remembering the dives by the end of the week. I have yet to read or hear anyone question these practices. This is a situation where the diver is totaly dependant on the DM and a perfect example of what I try to teach my student to never do. If I conducted tours like that I would be drummed out of every agency I deal with. Just wondering what all of you think.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
I have yet to read or hear anyone question these practices. This is a situation where the diver is totaly dependant on the DM and a perfect example of what I try to teach my student to never do. If I conducted tours like that I would be drummed out of every agency I deal with. Just wondering what all of you think.

It's actually fairly common practice outside the US. The main reason it's not done here too is liability.

When I worked on a certain island in the Bahamas a bunch of years ago we used to take guests on 180' wall dives. It was called the "Nitro Express".

We had a place where there was a large, wide ledge at 180, bottom at 6000'.

The dive was done by 2 divemasters, one would wait at depth, hovering just off the ledge, the other would lead a group (very small groups only, no more than 4) over the wall. The deep divemaster would ensure that everyone landed on the ledge. After 3 minutes we would grab them and head up, two guests per DM. Safe? Nope, it wasn't. It was done because that's what guests wanted and because the liability laws in the Bahamas are considerably different than here.

Tom

even if it means paying more and getting a slightly hypoxic mix. Safety is my primary reason. Ther first time I dove to the lower tunnel at roubidoux and could not only function but remember the dive, with no paranoia (my main symptom of being "narced") I was sold.

So much so that I learned to blend, and a buddy and I are setting up a mix & fill station at his business.

Sounds like you read the article in UK Diver-on-line. It was pretty scary.

When do you guys head for Florida? Perhaps when you get back the weather will have settled and we can hit Roubidoux.

Dive safe
Brock

I know its not Bikni, but I think you can now get Mix on Truk. I think it is a land based operation and if you have enough time, can also get it for live aboard trips to.

Eric

Okiecaver,
Florida trip is in the past. We dove Mine Lamotte the last two weekends. Looking to head back to Missouri the last weekend in may if not sooner. We can't wait to dive Roubidoux. Also if your interested we're diving the Wisconsin on the 11th. We ended up with a spot open. !00 to the deck, 130 to the bottom (outside) and 150 to the bottom inside. We'll be mixing it.

Mike

Mike,

I was hoping someone who has made the trip would share their experience. I was considering the trip and can only share the advice I received. My coments are definitly second-hand.

I understand that the flights into the island have rigid weight restrictions. The quarters are fairly spartan, but acceptable for hard-core divers. Food is average considering the transportation limitations.

Realistically, the main attraction is the Saratoga. The other wrecks were flipped over by the blasts. So, you're touring their keels and screws. It is still a location I would like to dive, but then I'm certifiable weird anyway.

I wouldn't imagine that it would be a big attraction for your shop. You would probably only be able to book very small groups due to interest and access. You have to bring spares in case of equipment failure because replacements probably aren't available.

I would expect that Truk is a more advantageous from your perspective. Less of an expedition dive - Liveaboards, varied dive sites, better access, sounds more like a vacation.

Just my .$.02

Larry

My aunt and Uncle dove Bikini (all I got were t-shirts) but they loved it. The Dms were very knowledgable and babyed the group of about 6 (if I recall). they got a very good briefing, stuck to the dive plan, and had a great time. they were watched closely both at depth and from the surface. What I have heard, the operation ran smoothly and as safely as possible

Originally posted by WreckWriter

When I worked on a certain island in the Bahamas a bunch of years ago we used to take guests on 180' wall dives. It was called the "Nitro Express".

Tom

According to my logbook, that dive is also known as "Over the Wall". I never did and still don't regard it as especially dangerous. However, for liability reasons, I wouldn't expect any dive operator in the U.S. to offer such a dive.

donacheson, I don't mean to flame, but how could you say a dive like that is safe? In my head, that's ridiculous. I could see taking students on a guided deco (possibly), but --really-- deep air and then deco. That's incredibly dangerous.

Now I am not trained in any sort of deco, deep air, or mix, so my opinion is just that.

brandon

Originally posted by donacheson
that dive is also known as "Over the Wall"

Correct. How long ago were you there? Who were your divemasters (first names only please)?

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom