Biiig Turtle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karibelle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We've been seeing this guy (or gal) recently... huge, and awesome, even if you're not a turtle freak (admitting I'm a turtle freak). This photo was at Dalila a couple of weeks ago, and shortly after that Matthew saw him at Santa Rosa.
kari

DSC05005.jpg

Beautiful loggerhead! Times like this I wish I could better appreciate size perspective in a photo. I still hope to see one in the wild someday. I've seen greens & hawksbills, but not yet a loggerhead.

Richard.

I hear you, Richard! This is only the second loggerhead I've seen here. It's a poor photo, but he was on the move and i was trying to get the pic whilst not disturbing his transit too much... I'd estimate he is close to three feet long. He's certainly the biggest I've seen. I had always wondered, if i see a loggerhead, will I recognize it as such? Then I saw my first one and thought "duh." :)

Nice find.. thanks for sharing the photo.

April 9th, 2012 - Our second dive of the day was at Tormentos. The current was really strong and a few in our group had already gone up. So the three that were left were looking for a little duck and cover when we came across a HUGE Loggerhead. It didn't have any trouble with the current and was very busy trying to break a huge conch shell. Had it in his mouth and was trying to crush it but just didn't have the power.

We ducked down behind some cover and watched for about 5 minutes and it didn't care at all that we were there, finally swimming off with ease as we were fighting the currents that were so strong the DM had his SMB totally deployed and it was having a hard time reaching the surface (the line was at about a 30 or 45 degree angle instead of straight up).

It was exciting, and I agree, their size definitely doesn't show up in the photos. It was without a doubt HUGE !!

Last edited:
We've been seeing this guy (or gal) recently... huge, and awesome, even if you're not a turtle freak (admitting I'm a turtle freak). This photo was at Dalila a couple of weeks ago, and shortly after that Matthew saw him at Santa Rosa.
kari

View attachment 131094

I love the way his fins swing ALL the way up over his body and touch above him as he swims off in search of another conch shell to crunch. Or her. Will have to try to check when I get to see again!

She was hanging out when we were there in late May/ early June as well...MASSIVE.

Only the second Loggerhead I've ever seen on Coz, very exciting indeed. It's cool to hear she's still hanging around.

She was hanging out when we were there in late May/ early June as well...MASSIVE.

Only the second Loggerhead I've ever seen on Coz, very exciting indeed. It's cool to hear she's still hanging around.
It looks very much like the one we saw on the north end of Colombia in May.

kari

View attachment 131094

Should have gotten in the pic to give a reference of size.......Looks big though......

Should have gotten in the pic to give a reference of size.......Looks big though......

I guess you'll just have to come see for yourself. :blinking:

Oh My GRANDE GOSH !! We saw "Tiny" ..LOL yesterday... He or she is certainly a sight to see... Awesome !!! But get ready folks, over the past two days we have seen more turtles in general that we have ever seen in 10 years of diving here. Come On down and see for yourself !!!

Sue and Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom