biggest issues diving as a female

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an instructor, I am constantly questioned by men who think they know better than me because I am a young woman (I'm talking about OW students who put on a BCD for the first time 1 hour ago). I've also had customers comment on my body or make mermaid signs at me underwater. Hard to harass women underwater but they have somehow figured it out. I would say the hardest part is trying to be taken seriously in a male dominated industry!

I would suggest that those have a particular stupidity they apply to both sexes also on land

Also they're not men

Is it ok to say both sexes

I'm an instructor, I am constantly questioned by men who think they know better than me because I am a young woman (I'm talking about OW students who put on a BCD for the first time 1 hour ago). I've also had customers comment on my body or make mermaid signs at me underwater. Hard to harass women underwater but they have somehow figured it out. I would say the hardest part is trying to be taken seriously in a male dominated industry!
What is a “mermaid sign”?

I should have explained that! It is not an official dive sign of course, but when someone gestures an hourglass figure that is supposed to mean "mermaid".
Jesus Christ.

I should have explained that! It is not an official dive sign of course, but when someone gestures an hourglass figure that is supposed to mean "mermaid".
Never heard of or saw anyone use a sign like that…

Hmmm. I've always believed that the hourglass gesture means "beautiful, curvaceous woman" (ETA: ... as inappropriate/insensitive as that gesture might be!). For example, watch from timestamp ~01:40 here:

rx7diver

I'm an instructor, I am constantly questioned by men who think they know better than me ...
It is an unfortunate truth.
My wife is an engineer / boat captain / tech diver. She lives in a male dominated world in every aspect of her life.
She used to mention that she doesn't have to be as good as me running the boat, she has to be perfect. Many coming aboard automatically assume she will be incompetent, they don't have that attitude when I run the boat.
I didn't see it at first, but over the years watching her running the boat when I am crewing instead of captaining, she is spot on. Every decision she makes is second guessed and questioned. Nobody does that to me.
I don't know what the answer is or if there is one, but I believe what you are saying and it sucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom