biggest dogfish youve seen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer:
Me and my big mouth! So, that actually IS a spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) after all! Great pictures by the way!

I was just going by your description of the size because like everyone else said it shouldn't be possible for a dogfish to be 6 ft long. They should max out at about 4 ft. However, the pictures are definitely a spiny dogfish. You can even see the spines on the front of the dorsal fins if you look closely.

I did a quick google search and found a link with some good pictures if you want to compare them. The top picture on the page isn't great, but look at the 4th 5th and 6th pictures down, its a dead ringer for your friend:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/SpinyDogfish/SpinyDogfish.html
Thanks for the info

there was nothing goin on with the cam.
those where some good sized fish.

or maybe they were dogfish? Who knows, I'm not a biologist. They looked like the one in your picture.

I was so jealous of you, Diesel298, when I read this thread, cause I've been diving for 3 years and I've never even seen a nurse shark! And it finally happened! I was diving Lanes Cove this morning and I saw one swim between one of my buddies. I started chasing it into deeper water (down to 52 feet) and suddenly the vis got much better and I was surrounded by at least 12 of them. Not bad for a first shark seeing! That was so cool! They weren’t afraid of me at all. Are they usually found in packs? Later my buddy saw a particularly big one, but I didn't see it.

This is the final straw! I’m getting an underwater camera, even if it is a cheap disposable one. I want pictures to go with my crazy stories :)

cool
i felt the same way when i saw those.
i was a little aprehensive at first because i was about 30 40 feet over them and dint know exactally what i was swiming into...(i think it was the way they where circling the anchor line) and was alone settin the hook so had no buddy for them to eat while i made a speedy get away but as i got closer i saw they where just dogfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom