BigBlue XL Quattro Extreme - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chiung

Contributor
Reaction score
I've owned Dive Rite's LED 300 and 700 handheld lights, and bought the Cree MC-E from Deal Extreme a few years ago. I've always wondered if someone could make a light as robust and reliable as the Dive Rite, with the brightness and tightness of beam as the DX light.

A few dives ago my DX light started acting up to the point of becoming unreliable so the search was on for a replacement.

My local LDS ordered in the Big Blue, and I brought the DX in to compare. On medium setting, the Big Blue was brighter than the DX on high with freshly charged batteries. The beam was also nice and tight. I bought it and took it diving the next day.

So far I am happy with it, although I haven't had a chance to see if the battery life is as advertised. The light itself is well built and a little on the large side but works fine for how I mount it. I discovered that a standard can coozy perfectly fits the light head for some protection in transit.

The battery carrier is almost identical to the 8-AA carrier that Dive Rite uses. The machining is good quality and the switch is easy to use.

I'll take some pics later...

http://www.bigblue.com.hk/xl-quattro-xtreme-led.html

The light retails for $399 I believe. I got it for less. Here it is compared to the DX MC-E Cree and the Dive Rite LED 700.

86bf12fe.jpg

56f7754b.jpg

56ae28fc.jpg

Fits perfectly in a can coozy, which also would help from accidentally activating the switch...

484cf814.jpg

9762c5f3.jpg

75401901.jpg

BigBlue on top at low power, Deal Extreme MC-E on high power...

d6c9ba74.jpg

BigBlue on top at high power, Deal Extreme MC-E on high power...

65f3bbb8.jpg

can't tell which one is brighter. You got to spot meter those pictures a the center of the beam so that one will actually look brighter than the other.

I don't have a spot meter, and I know the pictures are hard to judge brightness. You can take my word for it or not. :idk:

No need for spot meter, but set camera to spot metering. If there isn't such a setting, turn exposure compensation down -2 or -3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom