Big John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met John 15 years ago after posting in the buddy finder of the Cal . diving newspaper. The post said looking for a buddy to do some extended range diving . Back then technical was not a coined phrase yet. He called me and rattled off a list of wrecks that he dove as to qualify for a diver with a big ego . We met at the dock and hit it off from the beginning . I have a way in general not to ask questions of personal nature or dive qualifications. So the story goes John was a hell a good diver but had a bad temper . He had more gear than you could believe . Who needs two DPV,s four Poseidon and other regulators , eight HP tanks and a lot more . I almost had as much gear so we became good dive buddies . I think I just began to dive doubles and he was more experienced with decompression diving . We were a well rounded team from hunting to decompression . We loved lobster season so did many night dives . Opening night of lobster season is a ritual for divers with high expectations to bag that trophy size bug . We were anchored up early so to keep are area reserved . I had some bad blood with some other divers which was somewhat my fault . Look who comes up and throws anchor near us a half hour before midnight . Profanities are flying back and forth and John is simmering almost ready to catch fire . We decided to jump in early and they began to suit up and were in the water a few minutes after us . John mentioned he was going to cut their anchor line and I warned him against this action . Somehow he ascended to the barge on their side which was probably his plan . He met up with one of them and it was was a mistake to give John the finger . Did he think the water would cool him off . John went on fire swam full speed and punched him square in the chest . I think he had a moment clarity . Do not fight back and swim as fast as you can from him . They pulled anchor and left in a hurry . I sure hope you are OK John . I Have not seen you in many years .

I've known a few hot tempered divers in my time, but they most often wait until they get to the bar and have a few drinks before going ballistic. This must have been an interesting experience. Did you ever see the guys in the other boat again? :)

I AM wondering where the advanced discussion in this topic is supposed to be going. K1? I would have filed it under "accidents and incidents" myself.
Big John thought he owns the sea? Vandalizing other peoples stuff, people that rightfully might have a problem with you, based on your own behavior (and that is based on your own statement). Nice buddy to have. The both of you.

John went on fire swam full speed and punched him square in the chest . I think he had a moment clarity . Do not fight back and swim as fast as you can from him . They pulled anchor and left in a hurry . I sure hope you are OK John . I Have not seen you in many years .

You can find these guys all over: People who can't control their temper.

When they are young, you can find them on golf courses, sitting on surfboards at the best breaks, on the internet, and even in corporate boardrooms.

Eventually, a lot of them meet someone who removes their teeth, or they end up bunking with Bubba.

When they are old, they speak in raspy whispers, they avert their eyes, and they say "Yes, Boss" when you talk to them.

Testosterone poisoning: It's a real shame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom