Big island to Maui - photo gear as carry on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

empeg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about jumping from Big Island to Maui - but I have a problem with my luggage. My Peli 1510 case with camera & stuff is more then 15kg/33lbs, also got other soft bag with my laptop and stuff. On my flights from europe it was not a problem - I was allowed to bring two pieces (bag + laptop bag) without any real weight restrictions, but looks like it is on Hawaiian airlines - they allow one piece . Is there any other option ? Other airline, or maybe bying first class ticket ?

Thanks!

Greg

I have recently flown Hawaiian and have had no trouble with a laptop bag plus my carryon luggage that contained my regs and clothing. I flew with no checked luggage. I believe the 'one piece' refers to the larger piece plus one personal bag that you keep under the seat. Perhaps others can confirm this?

I flew Hawaiian inter-island last month with a standard-size carryon plus a laptop bag. On the first flight they asked me to put the bag on the scales - 28 pounds (25 pound limit), had to check it. On the other two flights I wasn't asked and took it as carryon.

Hawaiian lists 'A camera and/or a pair of binoculars' as not counting, try arguing it's a camera? :)

If you're not willing to risk having to check it I'd look for other options.

The cost to upgrade to first class on Hawaiian interisland flights is not that much, maybe around $50 at most, and definitely worth it if you have expensive gear to keep with you.

I've had things stolen out of checked luggage here on Maui, so be very careful about what you check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom