Big Island: snorkeling off Kailua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at taking a trip to the Big Island (been to the other major islands a number of times, but not the BI since I was a kid), and in addition to some diving, I'd be interested in spending some time snorkeling from shore if it's convenient, say for example around here Google Maps . Is the reef decent along there or is most of that section of the coast affected by runoff/cruise ship goop/etc?

Thanks

Aloha! People do occasionally snorkel in that area. You would need a day free of any swell. The coastline there is very rocky, so entry and exit is not easy. You could consider an area just north at Kailua Pier. The north side of the pier has a nice reef in 10-20 feet of water. Entry in front of the King Kam beach is easy. Then it's a short snorkel out and around the corner to your right. Be wary of boat traffic. I would suggest towing a dive flag.Shore Diving Site Picture for: Kailua-Bay of The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands
Mahalo, Angela

I haven't been in right there, but about 1 mile farther south there's decent structure - ribbon reefs and coral heads extending far offshore - I've done the stretch from Kona Makai to Casa Emdeko. You can find access anywhere you see the "Access" signs (about every 1/4 - 1/2 mile), but it can be rough so pick your spots and times. It's been like a lake for the last week. The times I've been, including this week, the visibility hasn't been as good as elsewhere, but hey - it still beats Cali by a mile!

'Watch out for boats' is good advice. They often run fairly close to shore and at high speed, especially the parasail dragger. A spearfisherman was killed out there last year, the first reports were that he looked like he'd been hit by a boat.

Ended up booking a place further down (albeit slightly pricier), in what I'm guessing would be considered Northern Keauhou Google Maps which from tripadvisor reviews seemed to have pretty good snorkelling a very short walk from the hotel. The Kailua Pier area looked promising (and economical), but it seemed like that's where all the cruise ship traffic goes, which I'd prefer to avoid if possible.

Nice to hear it's been flat (will be there in a few days), though knowing the boats zip by that close to shore is a bit unnerving. In the Ka'anapali area on Maui (airport beach) where I've been a number of times, the boats stay out a fair distance from shore.

Lots of tame fish inside Kahaluu Beach Park there - they'll expect to be fed. You can snorkel or dive out across the surf break and go left for boulders and canyons - seen lots of lobster and small white-tip reef sharks there at night - or right for more coral-crusted rock slopes. I don't recall the coral buildup being as good there as up around Mile 1.5 -2, but I haven't gone out very far looking. If you're in the Outrigger or the Swim and Racquet Club, there's nice structure out in front of those. In between here (around Mile 1.5) and Kahaluu Park (around Mile 5), there's the Mile 4 cove entry which is a popular spot with a small swim through and arch on the south point as you go out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom