Big dilemma, should i sell my poseidon rig??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys having just took the dir-f classes i found out that my poseidon xtreme wasnt too dir. mainly because of the hoses and availability and replacemnts of parts. Unlike the odin/jetstream, you could change the existing hoses into the long hoses without a hitch. any long hose would do. with the newer xtreme, you specifically have to get a poseidon hose which has a special attachment to the mouthpiece. poseidon also doesnt have the 22" hoses for the secondary mouthpiece to be worn as necklace. shortest hose is 26". in short i have to get the original hoses which arent cheap. $100 a pop. i think its poseidons way of capturing you after geting their gear.

i tried coupling hoses as a method but becasue of the potential failure point not so dir. should i sell this one and get a more dir friendly rig or just get the expensive long hose? i honestly love this rig and wouldnt want to sell it. but if i have to i will. my instructor and pretty much every techie in my country has advised me to sell it in favor of pretty much any apeks. really confused. when i bought this xtreme 2 months ago i honestly thought id keep it forever? help?

I'm not going to tell you what to do but if I had a dime for every person I've heard complain about having purchased "the wrong type of gear" in the past (whether it's DIR, or any other type of evolution in their diving style) I'd be rich.

All I'm saying is that if this is the only gear 'mistake' you're going to make, consider yourself lucky. I did pretty good, but heck - I've cleared out two closets worth of stuff. Ebay is your friend.

Boogie711:
I'm not going to tell you what to do but if I had a dime for every person I've heard complain about having purchased "the wrong type of gear" in the past (whether it's DIR, or any other type of evolution in their diving style) I'd be rich.

All I'm saying is that if this is the only gear 'mistake' you're going to make, consider yourself lucky. I did pretty good, but heck - I've cleared out two closets worth of stuff. Ebay is your friend.

i did pretty good with my gear selection. everything else i purchased was dir. fins, bc etc. except for the big knife i used to wear on my right thigh:) i dont have a problem selling my poseidon as there are many interested buyers. question is should i sell it?? i really love it...

There are some adapters out there that permit you to use a standard hose with your poseidon reg.

even with adapters that adds another point of failure...

Falco:
There are some adapters out there that permit you to use a standard hose with your poseidon reg.

Adapters are not DIR.

If you're truly interested in staying DIR, you should sell the reg. As you said, there is probably a lot of interest in the Poseidon regs, so that won't be a problem. Then get yourself a nice set of DIR regs.

Spoon:
i did pretty good with my gear selection. everything else i purchased was dir. fins, bc etc. except for the big knife i used to wear on my right thigh:) i dont have a problem selling my poseidon as there are many interested buyers. question is should i sell it?? i really love it...

I'd say stick with your regs, as they are awesome regs. The money you would loose selling them (since you will never recover the initial amount) and having to buy a new set of regs will equal 2 sets of hoses that you can carry with you as a spare! That way you will have backup hoses, just in case something does happen.

tamas...how much would those hoses help underwater?

Spoon:
guys having just took the dir-f classes i found out that my poseidon xtreme wasnt too dir. mainly because of the hoses and availability and replacemnts of parts. Unlike the odin/jetstream, you could change the existing hoses into the long hoses without a hitch. any long hose would do. with the newer xtreme, you specifically have to get a poseidon hose which has a special attachment to the mouthpiece. poseidon also doesnt have the 22" hoses for the secondary mouthpiece to be worn as necklace. shortest hose is 26". in short i have to get the original hoses which arent cheap. $100 a pop. i think its poseidons way of capturing you after geting their gear.

i tried coupling hoses as a method but becasue of the potential failure point not so dir. should i sell this one and get a more dir friendly rig or just get the expensive long hose? i honestly love this rig and wouldnt want to sell it. but if i have to i will. my instructor and pretty much every techie in my country has advised me to sell it in favor of pretty much any apeks. really confused. when i bought this xtreme 2 months ago i honestly thought id keep it forever? help?

The problems with parts and hoses alone prevents me from using these, but the second stages are also particularly problomatic. They are an upstream design and (with the qualifier that I am not familiar with the extreme) cannot be easily taken apart underwater to clean out debris. Since you are asking this in the DIR forum, the answer is to ditch the reg and to get an Apex.

There are plenty of regs that will do and some of the newer designs may over time prove to be even better. However, currently, the most, all around well proven reg out there (for back gas use) is the DS4/ TX50. I also have maybe a dozen SP Mk25/G250s, but I personally only use those and similar regs such as the Atomics for stage regs where you need a piston design. The scubapro's breathe slightly better but the Apex have a far longer service life between overhauls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom