Beware the Ramp at Pt. Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to add my :hurt: ouch :hurt: to the pile. I am sorry that you got hurt, but glad to hear that it is recoverable. I, too, took a spill last month on the ramp and bruised the fleshy bit at the base of my thumb. My husband had the right idea in crawling out that day.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Chiming in to add my best wishes for a speedy and as-comfortable-as-possible recovery.

Bruce-Best wishes on a speedy recovery..my condolences!
Thanks for the warning!

Drew

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that Bruce! I wish you a very speedy recovery as well.

I'm sure there is lawsuit there somewhere for suing the park for not keeping that ramp clean. Maybe they could intall handrails to meet A.D.A. requirements? LOL!

I'm not sure if the lawsuit is ethical, perhaps we just need to talk to rangers and send emails/letters to the park administration.

While I too have injured my knee walking down the ramp, I place no blame or responsibility on Point Lobos or the wonderful staff there. From what I've read of the posts of other divers who found it slippery, I believe they share a similar sentiment.

Scott Tims and other volunteer divers have taken the initiative to powerwash the ramp periodically and are in need of more volunteers. If you'd like to see conditions on the ramp improve, volunteer to be on the ramp powerwash team.

If the pressure washer was readily available, I would have been happy to have spent my surface interval doing the ramp. After all, I was already wet :)

Seriously, entries and exits are dicey times for divers -- often done on sloping and sometimes unstable or slippery surfaces, while wearing heavy gear which changes one's normal center of gravity and impedes balance. When I talked to the head of DAN's medical section at DEMA, he told me they get more claims for trauma from divers than claims for DCS. I think it's a risk we assume. Talking about suing park organizations is only going to get sites restricted from diving.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury Bruce, and hope you recover in short order.

I'm convinced that (although done with the best intentions) pressure washing has made things far worse. The dark red thick algae which was moderately slippery and outcompetes the other algaes in the long-term, has been scraped away and replaced with the filmy green algae that thrives in the short-term which is insanely slick and slippery. Furthermore, the ramp has gotten more pocked and potholed as the concrete itself is being scored away.

I don't think that suing anybody is the answer to anything (other than to get the park closed to diving). The fact of the matter is that diving is a voluntary activity that has dangers (just ask any insurance underwriter :p). Just like DCS, AGE, etc... slip-and-fall is a risk that you assume when you go diving. Ideas like handrails, etc... have all been brought up before and all have serious issues that prevent them from being implemented.

I think the best thing you can do is to slow down and be careful. Use the boulders for handholds, or ask one of the other divers for assistance in and out. Also, if you are really concerned, try diving Lobos on days when the tide will be favorable during your entry/exit.

I would agree with what others are saying the lack of necessity for a lawsuit. It is a risk that we assume and I appreciate the ramp more than I would want to suit and loose access to diving Lobos. Without the ramp, I can't imagine going over those darn boulders to get in.

This all being said, I am still working on my thoughts for an underwater funicular. :) sweet.

Again, my hopes for a speedy recovery to the OP!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom