Beware of the "Grey market dealers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverRider

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last year I bought a Suunto Vyper2 and was naive to the “grey market” pitfall. I have since had trouble with this device and sent in back to the "grey dealer". It has a 2 year warranty with them. This resulted in a barrage of phone calls to find out when I would get it back with a complete report of the devices repairs. I received the device back with a 7 page stack of papers which gave inconclusive test results. The report was in affect garbage. The instrument they tested it against wasn't even set to the same sample rate as my defective device. They did 3 "test dives" and there were ascent errors on my device as I indicated was the reason I sent it back in the first place. My logs reflect my having done a dive for approximately 5 minutes at 9 feet. I never made any such dive. When I saw the failure at 26 feet I had a Gekko as a backup and the Vyper2 went to 14' then 12' then 0 feet before going back into time mode, all this at 26 feet.

The "grey dealer" said they sent it back to a Suunto service center which after some research I found out exactly where it went. The computer only did this after 5 dives in Bonaire and went into lockout for 48 hours. I should have seen it coming because the logged data had spikes moving several feet in a couple of seconds. I had to rent a computer after 24 hours, time enough for me to match the rental as I knew my previous activity would not be an issue doing this.

The lesson here is to buy from an authorized dealer and someone who you can have direct personal contact with concerning your product. This is an Aqua Lung / Suunto product and they have very high standards for their equipment which I commend them for. Only scuba shops sell them, Aqua Lung / Suunto does not allow online or phone sales of their equipment. Aqua Lung is the authorized dealer and service for Suunto products. There are only 3 places in North America that service Suunto products otherwise it's sent overseas to Suunto.
I bought a Suunto D9 computer at a dive shop to replace this device as I know I can never trust it again.

Never rely on just your computer either, a lot can happen. Computers are taken for granted too much now a days and one can get into serious trouble doing this!!!
I'll not mention the dealer name or service center at this time, as I do not know if this would be a violation of the ScubaBoard rules.

There are grey market dealers and grey market dealers. If you trust who you buy it from to deal with any problems, then the fact that they are trustworthy is probably more significant than whether they are grey or white.

There are no shortage of warranty horror stories when dealing with original manufacturers.

You pay your nickle and you take your chances.:lotsalove:

Oh yeah? Well I just saw this on Leisurpro's site:

TAKE YOUR CHANCES
List price: [-]A nickle[/-]
Our price: Three cents
You saved: 40%

:eyebrow:

Rhone Man is on the mark.
Not all grey market dealers are the same.
If the dealer offers their own warranty in writting and has a history of customer satisfaction you will probably end up satified also.
There are of course horror stories even within the Manufacturer Authorized repair chain.
An extra line of defense is to use a charge card that has a protection program when purchasing such items and register the items in the program. (Many Platinum and above cards)
Sent an item back a second or third time if a repair is incomplete or unsatisfactory if the item spends too much time being serviced ask for a warranty extension for the period you couldn't use it. It after a few earnest attempts to have a item serviced it isn't corrected ask for a replacement.
Personally I won't purchase new gear from manufacturers that don't allow internet sales and hold dealers to MARP pricing. I beleive in a competative open market and Scuba gear pricing has been kept artificially high for far too long.

Personally I won't purchase new gear from manufacturers that don't allow internet sales and hold dealers to MARP pricing.

Don't buy much gear there do you Walker....... they all have MAP pricing. That doesn't dictate what the item is sold for, just what it is advertised for. It is the manufactures way (although sad) of building value in their product by keeping the price the same everywhere someone looks.

All you have to do is shop around to find a price well under a MAP..... :wink:

Last year I bought a Suunto Vyper2 and was naive to the “grey market” pitfall. I have since had trouble with this device and sent in back to the "grey dealer". It has a 2 year warranty with them. This resulted in a barrage of phone calls to find out when I would get it back with a complete report of the devices repairs. I received the device back with a 7 page stack of papers which gave inconclusive test results. The report was in affect garbage. The instrument they tested it against wasn't even set to the same sample rate as my defective device. They did 3 "test dives" and there were ascent errors on my device as I indicated was the reason I sent it back in the first place. My logs reflect my having done a dive for approximately 5 minutes at 9 feet. I never made any such dive. When I saw the failure at 26 feet I had a Gekko as a backup and the Vyper2 went to 14' then 12' then 0 feet before going back into time mode, all this at 26 feet.

The "grey dealer" said they sent it back to a Suunto service center which after some research I found out exactly where it went. The computer only did this after 5 dives in Bonaire and went into lockout for 48 hours. I should have seen it coming because the logged data had spikes moving several feet in a couple of seconds. I had to rent a computer after 24 hours, time enough for me to match the rental as I knew my previous activity would not be an issue doing this.

The lesson here is to buy from an authorized dealer and someone who you can have direct personal contact with concerning your product. This is an Aqua Lung / Suunto product and they have very high standards for their equipment which I commend them for. Only scuba shops sell them, Aqua Lung / Suunto does not allow online or phone sales of their equipment. Aqua Lung is the authorized dealer and service for Suunto products. There are only 3 places in North America that service Suunto products otherwise it's sent overseas to Suunto.
I bought a Suunto D9 computer at a dive shop to replace this device as I know I can never trust it again.

Never rely on just your computer either, a lot can happen. Computers are taken for granted too much now a days and one can get into serious trouble doing this!!!
I'll not mention the dealer name or service center at this time, as I do not know if this would be a violation of the ScubaBoard rules.

If someone out there is naive enough to beleive Aqua Lung or Suunto is not directly providing LP and other "gray market" dealers with product just call them with a serial number of a recent purchase to inquire about the true dealer of record. There will be nothing provided other than a lot of transfered calls...

Don't buy much gear there do you Walker....... they all have MAP pricing. That doesn't dictate what the item is sold for, just what it is advertised for. It is the manufactures way (although sad) of building value in their product by keeping the price the same everywhere someone looks.

All you have to do is shop around to find a price well under a MAP..... :wink:

There is a big difference between MAP & MARP. Many manufacturers employ MAP. Only a few employ MARP.

Would I be be right in saying that if you buy a new computer on ebay that supposedly comes with a full manufacturers warranty that you're screwed if anything goes wrong ? Will the manufacturers void the warranty if its not from an authorized dealer ?

Would I be be right in saying that if you buy a new computer on ebay that supposedly comes with a full manufacturers warranty that you're screwed if anything goes wrong ? Will the manufacturers void the warranty if its not from an authorized dealer ?

If it is not bought from an authorized dealer, then it does not have a warranty to void in the first place........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom