Beware---Killer Trigger at the Corsair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's been a large Trigger out on the deeper "satellite reef" at Ulua Beach here on Maui that has been chargng at people lately. I haven't noticed any nest but it does seem to hang out in the same general location most of the time. You can see the look on his (her?) face when he's coming right at you.... definitely sending a message to get away! I haven't been bit yet but it seems particularly fond of fin tips!

We also have a large Black Durgon trigger at Makena Landing that stands it's ground pretty fiercely. Same deal, no bites but lots of nips at peoples fin tips! Watch out!

When I did a trip in the PI I was told to be careful of the Queen Trigger... I guess it would hunt you down and attack you.

Catherine, I got your message, sorry I've been awfully busy... I take it you got the tanks though? Does that make you & JB new members?

catherine96821:
hey Bill, yes, I heard that in Palau too. I think something funny was going on because it came AFTER him. Hey, you are the marine biologists! Nice little jaw marks though, yikes. I would have been upset.

The ones I've dived with came after me, too (even though I told them I was the wrong species and gender). They are reported to attack almost anything that enters and inverted cone centered on the nest at the bottom and expanding outward to the surface. Fortunately they just bit my fins since we were told to back pedal away from them.

chepar:
I've never had a fish go after me, so I guess with me it's all about appearances.

Those are some scary looking fish.

Now, I've heard that your looks would entice a male triggerfish!!

FWIW, I've had helpful DM's turn my gas off at the swim platform twice.

Fortunately my "routine" let me catch it both times. At least they looked sheepish afterwards!

Also, the advice for bear attacks also works well for Triggers, ha ha!

All the best, James

what try and look BIG?

Yes, the old "let me help honey" routine. I made him jump in and tow me back to the boat for punishment. Sucking the air from a hose is pretty absolute. You aren't gonna milk much more outta there. I was actually sucking on a vacume.

It is so amusing to me, your thoughts that go through your head when this stuff happens. Mine always says "there you go, stupid everybody TOLD you."

catherine96821:
what try and look BIG?

<snip>
...actually, I was thing about the one involving running (swimming) faster than the other guy...

All the best, James

fdog:
...actually, I was thing about the one involving running (swimming) faster than the other guy...

All the best, James

JB sounds like a WONDERFUL man. But I think his mechanic skills maybe in question! :D

Remember... lefty loosy, righty tighty. Anyone who has spent any time turning a wrench does NOT get this wrong.

One thing I do before jumping in is to take about 6 or more deep breaths off the reg, and watch the guage. If your air is off, the SPG needle with start to move down after a few deep breaths.

I had a DM turn my air OFF once. I KNOW it was off when I was about to jump in, which is why I ask him to turn it on. He obviously was challanged, and after about a minute of screwing around with it, he pronounced I was good to go. I had a buddy check before we decended, and sure enough, it was fully off....

Easy mistake to make, but deadly. If you are sinking fast, have no air, and can't reach the valve (which is hard, and most don't practice) you may die.

The FIRST Lessons for Life I read was about a DM diving on a 100fsw wreck with hundreds of dives jumping in with his air off, and dying. It can happen to anyone.

yes, I had a "come to Jesus moment" down there.

I am now fully enlightened. So is he.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom