Beware---Killer Trigger at the Corsair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On one of the Divers Down episodes they reported that more divers end up in the Hospital due to Trigger Fish vs. any other marine animal. Can not remember if it was the Palau, or Yap show.

So you went out, started one dive, your Halcyon bit you in the tail! It SHOULD be still under recall, just take it to the shop and they will replace the whole unit, or that is my understanding.

All in all, you took out the boat, got in a couple eventful dives, and all is well. I'd say that is a good day at sea! :D

Well, the inflator did not cause the problem, but it would have been nice to have been able to push the button at the surface. I did not have the air in my lungs to orally inflate the way I am used to....so I had to tread a bit while I "rested up". I asked JB to jump in and help me, which left no one on the boat but we had a nice long tag line which I was next to at the time.

We had been troubleshooting all day so it was wierd that out of all the things that could happen, it would be this!

back to the killer Trigger...

There are these aggressive Damsels in Palau and if they come after you, you are supposed to "point" at them according to the locals. Try it! Too funny, it works.

I think Titan Triggers are the nastiest, from what I heard. Ugh..ever hear those guys chomping on a reef? Sounds like calcium in the garbage disposal.

Poor John, that was a nasty bite...and then some other fish came after him on the second dive. Those guys need the protection of a wetsuit. I think the people with moles get them all worked up.

catherine96821:
Well, the inflator did not cause the problem, but it would have been nice to have been able to push the button at the surface. I did not have the air in my lungs to orally inflate the way I am used to....so I had to tread a bit while I "rested up". I asked JB to jump in and help me, which left no one on the boat but we had a nice long tag line which I was next to at the time.

We had been troubleshooting all day so it was wierd that out of all the things that could happen, it would be this!

So you forgot to turn on the tank! :D Is that what went wrong! Silly girl, I'm glad you were not seriously injured. You may want to get into the practice of having the *boat guy* do an *air on* check just before D-Boating. A lot of OPS do this for good reason.

I proudly Giant Strided off the boat sans my fins one time.... It did not take long to realize something was amis, and the DM had my fins on the ready with a big smile on his face after he *allowed* me to make that mistake.

Reading this I remember someone telling me about nasty trigger fish - never experienced them that way myself - luckily. If I remember right, what he told me was they are the meanest when they are nesting.....

But I have been bitten by damsel fish and chubs...luckily thru the suit, but it surprised the do wah diddi outa me...lol

erparamedic:
The 68ish degree, putrid green, quarry water just isn't doing it for me right now! LOL
:D

too bad you weren't with us yesterday...we found everything that was missing from the critter list - including a 6' white tip reef shark. :D It's your turn next time....:wink:

the *boat guy* do an *air on* check just before D-Boating. A lot of OPS do this for good reason.

he did it wrong.

Solo. solo. hey..he is new at being the "boat guy". It is different standing there and "checking" someone else's air, vs facing your tank. I told him he was trying to knock me off already and wanted the boat all to himself.

Leesa, you need to do trip reports you lazy woman. here I am sharing my misfortune for the common good.... Yes, you are due to dive with us. We wanted to get things right before we do our friends in though. We are getting the emergency equipment sorted out...back up GPS, IPERB, etc. Flares, water supply, you name it. Docking finesse cannot be undervalued either. We are ready to dive you "safely" though.

chepar:
I've had people tell me of incidents "when fish attack" - but to be perfectly honest, unless it was a barracuda, I've always kind of wondered if the diver was narced when he thought the fish was attacking him. Especially when the fish in question is one of those small cute ones. :wink:

Ok, live and learn.

Sounds like you're having a good time with your boat.

Barracuda are the fish I'd vote least likely to attack.

justleesa:
too bad you weren't with us yesterday...we found everything that was missing from the critter list - including a 6' white tip reef shark. :D It's your turn next time....:wink:

Oh, I'm gonna have to email TruckerGirl.... I'm soooo jealous. :wink:

One of these days, the hubby and I will make it to Hawaii. This year, we're going to West Palm in FL. It's just soooo expensive to get there, then to stay for a week or so. Some day..... sigh. :D

We added our local grocery store chain to our United miles....we get 1 mile for every $2 we spend just by using the stores club card (not credit card, if you have fly miles on the cc you would get additional miles)...Check it out, might get you here a bit faster :)

catherine96821:
Poor John, that was a nasty bite...and then some other fish came after him on the second dive. Those guys need the protection of a wetsuit. I think the people with moles get them all worked up.

Does John fish? Maybe word is out on the reef . . . .

The type of trigger that attacks people in the southen parts of the world is called the titan trigger fish. it defends its nest aggressively.

Back
Top Bottom