Beware---Killer Trigger at the Corsair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Today John Melino braved the new boat scenario like a true friend and helped us sort out our lines and dive method for the local sites in Maunaloa Bay. His career doing the shark cages leaves him wanting for the good ol days over here!

Anyway, he did not deserve what happened to him. JB thinks it was a pink tail lone Trigger fish....they do not school. I don't think I remember seeing Trigger fish on the fighter plane. Anyway, it was a viscious attack, by all accounts. I insisted on staying at the throttle, despite the irresponsible peer pressure to do otherwise. Funny, it feels different without Captain Joe at the wheel because he has so many saves under his belt. I sat on the boat all alone feeling a bit paranoid and watching squalls move across the water. Occasionally the boat would sit in the trough and I would worry just a little. I really wanted to go below and roll up in the fetal position, but I took my stakeout seriously and stayed on watch. I waited and watched a pretty long 30 minutes for a 117 ft dive....JB must be improving on his air consumption.

DSCF0022.jpg

poor John...

DSCF0039.jpg

happier times at the dock, pre-dive

DSCF0014.jpg

kinda wish the GPS had the arrow instead of the "highway" towards the site....

DSCF0011.jpg

My mind took a field trip, my only hope, a lone plane overhead :wink:

DSCF0025.jpg

So, then on to site number two. I informed JB that he had to stay on the boat and be the designated driver, just in case. John said he wanted to navigate all three craters and I decided to let him go off and do it and I would stay nearby and practice....some skills (I just had no idea which ones yet. Yes, about ten minutes into my dive, I experienced the worst thing that can happen short of a Tiger attack. We won't mention what it was, but it does involve an acronym. 30 years of SCUBA, and this has never happened. It feels like "oh *#*#!, did I turn my air ON?".....anyway, we won't talk about that, lets say I was not in stride with my usual routine....." So, suffice it to say that I was quite fatigued at the surface and wishing that I had replaced my errant Halcyon inflator button, because the fact that it was stainless steel was not helping me much. I made JB jump overboard and rescue me, just for drama. By the time John returned we had conspired to act "normal".

I got out of boat clean-up as I had to race off for car pool duties. Overall, I thought it all went pretty well.

Catherine,
How come you didn't dive too? The new tanks work out for JB? Is there not an option on the GPS to use the arrow? I hate the Highway display as well so I know what ya mean.

Do you think we have an arrow option maybe to the highway? We were kinda winging it.... It worked okay and maybe you just have to get used to it, like a mouse.

Yes, I dove the second site but the first one was pretty rolling way out there and it did not feel right for us all to leave the boat..... first time out and all. Weather kinda iffy today. Tanks are stylin though, thanks! We might go Thursday....

I really missed out on something, eh?

Truckergirl and I had a couple of great dives on the West shore, so I don't feel too bad :wink:

Do such attacks only happen when they are defending the nest durin g breeding season? While in Tahiti I was told the islanders fear triggerfish attacks more than sharks. We did experience a few mild ones.

hey Bill, yes, I heard that in Palau too. I think something funny was going on because it came AFTER him. Hey, you are the marine biologists! Nice little jaw marks though, yikes. I would have been upset.

catherine96821:
Yes, I dove the second site but the first one was pretty rolling way out there and it did not feel right for us all to leave the boat..... first time out and all. Weather kinda iffy today. Tanks are stylin though, thanks! We might go Thursday....

Never leave the boat unattended, Darlin'.

I've had people tell me of incidents "when fish attack" - but to be perfectly honest, unless it was a barracuda, I've always kind of wondered if the diver was narced when he thought the fish was attacking him. Especially when the fish in question is one of those small cute ones. :wink:

Ok, live and learn.

Sounds like you're having a good time with your boat.

justleesa:
I really missed out on something, eh?

Truckergirl and I had a couple of great dives on the West shore, so I don't feel too bad :wink:

That's right.... TruckerGirl has abandoned me, and run off to Hawaii! Leesa... TG and I chatted on messenger a couple days ago. She says you're pretty cool, and that you've had some nice dives! But, I'm jealous! I wanna dive pretty and clear water.

The 68ish degree, putrid green, quarry water just isn't doing it for me right now! LOL
:D

chepar:
I've had people tell me of incidents "when fish attack" - but to be perfectly honest, unless it was a barracuda, I've always kind of wondered if the diver was narced when he thought the fish was attacking him. Especially when the fish in question is one of those small cute ones. :wink:

Ok, live and learn.

Sounds like you're having a good time with your boat.

You've never dove in a quarry. Those little perch are killers I tell you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom