Beuchat Steel 120 HP...MONSTER Of A Tank??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McLovinIt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Got a good lead/price on a nice tank. Almost new, all current. Just looking for some input/opinions on this tank. I've gathered here and there, that this thing is a monster - as in big and unusually heavy. Anybody have any experiences or sightings of this tank? Thanks!!

We used to have a few of them, but never used them as strap on cylinders, they were just waaay too heavy. We had them on a platform which we suspended above the work site with extended LP hoses for underwater work, and for that purpose they were great.

These cylinders were made by Jos Heiser in Austria probably around 1995/6 and many had a M25 x 2mm (Metric) neck thread, so it might be worthwhile to check and remember if you need a valve.
Beuchat really struggeled to move these cylinders due to the immense weight, and eventually dumped them internationally for fractionally more than the cost of the valve and boot.

Theres nothing wrong with the cylinder mind, and Heiser was a respected manufacturer (they were later bought by Worthington) so if you can handle the weight, can source metric valves (if necessary) and can get it real cheap, I guess it will be fine.

I've dived with a guy that uses 120's and they are friggin' hhuuugggeee. I'm 5'5" and there's no way I could ever use one for back gas. Not to mention they are way too heavy. But if you're a big guy then it might be just fine for you.

These are Heiser 120's, correct? Or same thing essentially?

...I think those tanks are more like 140 cu. ft., .....not 120's. Faber makes a current model 149 cu. ft. tank which while still big, isn't quite as big/heavy/negatively bouyant as the Beuchat. Also, the Beuchat is VERY 'negative' so make sure your BC can handle it. There IS a reason those tanks failed to sell back in the day....also, good luck trying to reboard a dive boat in high seas with that sucker!

....also, good luck trying to reboard a dive boat in high seas with that sucker!

That's the kicker!! Otherwise, I wouldn't mind the extra weight. Even at $100, it's looking like it may be too much tank for me. I'm not that big of a guy either...5'8 @ 190. But the guy did say it had 120 stamped on it (just wondering why a metric tank would have a cf capacity stamped on it??). I guess I can go take a look and solve the mystery. Dry weight might be managable, but I won't have an idea of the negative wet weight until I get it in the water (SHALLOW WATER!). Thanks for the thoughts!

I have a Beuchat (Heiser) 140. Just huge. -28lbs in the water full 63lbs on land. It's great for all the extra air but would probably do better for a staging bottle. On the plus side, you can drop a lot of weight. Just make sure you can make a safe ascent with the beast since you won't have much weight to drop in an emergency.

Last edited:
Just because it is made by Heiser doesn't mean it necessarily is a metric tank. The tanks that Beuchat was getting from Heiser for sale in the USA were made to DOT specs, were rated in cf, and probably had (though I can't swear to it) US valve threading.

They are real heavy, even the "little" 120, because they are spun and plugged construction, and as a result have really thick bottoms.

That's the kicker!! t (just wondering why a metric tank would have a cf capacity stamped on it??). I guess I can go take a look and solve the mystery.

Looks like it's -26.4lbs empty in the water. Thats a lot.

Listed near the bottom of Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan , assuming its the "Heiser 120" medium pressure tank listed.

So, right now, I use a ss bp/w with a steel 72 and 8lbs of weight and a 5mm ws. Am I thinking right in assuming (all things being equal).....the -26 lbs of the "new" 120 tank minus the 8 lbs of carry weight= -18 lb set up with just going with the new tank and no carry weight?? The idea is hard to convey without typing 5 paragraphs!! I know what I'm thinking, damnit!! :D

Well...It is a MONSTER of a tank! Stamped DOT. It is a 120, but the 120 isn't stamped. It's stenciled on the tank down near the boot. Nice tank though. Very compact 8" tank. Loved the short length. Just way too heavy for me. Thing's gotta be 60 lbs dry. Couldn't imagine climbing a ladder out of the water with that thing on my back. Thanks for the input guys!!

Back
Top Bottom