Beuchat Steel 120 HP...MONSTER Of A Tank??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two of those beasts and when I bought them they were doubled.

I cannot imagine who was butch enough to climb a ladder with them together.

I have used them as singles and they do work in that way. At least you wil never need any lead to sink.

Simply put the Heiser 120's are absurdly heavy. I would highly reccomend not buying them.

Heiser 120's make better wind chimes than breathing apparatus.

Don't worry....I passed on the tank. But DOUBLED?!? I couldn't imagine that! ONE tank has H-E-R-N-I-A written all over it. Doubled-up has gotta be a poop-in-your-suit deal.

I am assuming its the Grey painted tanks with the Green "Beuchat" transfer of a world and the size 120 / 140 on the transfer? All Heiser tanks were DOT spec unless otherwise specified by the customer, its a fairly widely used manufacturing spec and accepted in quite a few countries, including here.

Beuchat always used to purchase cylinders from Roth in France, but Roth only manufactured the 180mm dia and not the 203mm dia. cylinder which was all the rage back then, so they switched production to Heiser for this model, but it was a dead loss, nobody wanted them and they eventually had to virtually give them away.

Don't worry....I passed on the tank. But DOUBLED?!? I couldn't imagine that! ONE tank has H-E-R-N-I-A written all over it. Doubled-up has gotta be a poop-in-your-suit deal.

Agreed they could cause an emarassing incident.

They were doubled when I bought them but never dove them that way. Just used them as singles.

I still have the tanks and have found no good use for them. As scrap steel they aren't worth the trouble to haul them to a recycle center. As gear they aren't worth anything.

A waste of 120's but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Yes...It is the dark grey painted tank. It is stamped Beuchat and Heiser with a "120" transfer at the bottom. Definitely 8" (203mm). Thanks....good info!

BTW....This is driving me nuts!! Is it pronounced (literally) boo-shay or boo-shat or bO-shay?? I'm geussing it's bO-shay.....but hey, that's just me!

Yes...It is the dark grey painted tank. It is stamped Beuchat and Heiser with a "120" transfer at the bottom. Definitely 8" (203mm). Thanks....good info!

BTW....This is driving me nuts!! Is it pronounced (literally) boo-shay or boo-shat or bO-shay?? I'm geussing it's bO-shay.....but hey, that's just me!

Sure you are correct, its generally pronounced bO sha. I actually know the original owners (Henri Beuchat) wife, who is still very active in the diving business in Marseille, owning a shop on the port, even though she is getting on in the years now, as you can imagine. Strangely enough she still visists the factory in Marseille and sometimes gives talks there on the early days of the company, a very interesting lady indeed with a wealth of experience.

The company was bought from them later by the Alvarez family who really put it on the international map with innovative products and an aggressive marketing campaign,and the one brother, Francois Alvarez started the USA division back in 92/93. They initially operated out of Cypress Creek in Fort Lauderdale and later moved to Miami.

Just a snippet of useless info.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom