Better OC Trimix Computer . . .

Which of these two ranks better in the catagory?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't go wrong with either computer or company.. If size matters, there's a plus, or a negative.. If color matters.. There you have it.. If rechargeable batteries is important to you, or user replaceable, if you are away from a A/C power source for a week or more at a time... With regard to Algo's, they both now have more than one..

I own 2 X1's and a Xeo and I love them almost as much as Liquivision's customer support. This really is the only reason I'm chiming in here...
I purchased my first X1 used on ebay and a few months later it went to a 1,900' dive while the unit was sitting out in the sun during a SI. I thought I was hosed since it was out of warranty and purchased second hand on the internet.
I called them to check about how much it might cost to repair and was pretty surprised when they said they were sending me a brand new dual sensor unit..
I now own two of them and just hit dive #306 on the one I use most... I've never had an issue with either.. They work for me and I love the size, tap controls and rechargeable batteries..
I have no regrets or interest in anything else, but I know a few Tech IT's that swear by Cochran's and don't care at all for the new stuff.. Maybe one day that will be me, sporting my old X1..

That being said... If there was no Liquivision, I would be diving a Predator..

Once again, everything required to interface with your desktop is supplied with the unit.
Has it always been like this. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, when I was doing my shopping around, the X1 was not sold including software or connection cable.

Yes, the battery is replaceable.
User replaceable or factory? Does the potting of the guts complicate battery changes?
Do you really know any more than I do about the percentage of dissatisfied users of either machine?
I have no idea as to the extent of your knowledge or ignorance in any capacity. I don't know you and you don't know me. Personally, I am voicing my opinion. I did at one time seriously consider acquiring the X1 and changed that decision to a Predator based on shopping research I did. I'm relaying the reasons for my choosing. I am happy with my choice, and would go for the Predator if I had to chose once again.

This was actually discussed in the latest TDM (Tech Diving Mag | Free online technical diving magazine). From what I gleaned in the article it sounds like it's very similar until you start getting into expedition depths (100m+) and then you start to see the nuances in the models. But for the tech diving that most of us are doing...
Good clarification. Thanks.

I've been happy with with an X1 and a Xen. Liquivision's customer support has been very good, although dealing with shipping back to BC is a bit of a pain due to dealing with Customs. In general, I wouldn't consider anything without an OLED display. I would also avoid proprietary algorithms, such as Suunto or the VR3--Buhlmann GF and VPM are common and widely supported, so why play guessing games with a mystery box? Ratio Deco would be worth looking into too, as a back-up/sanity check if nothing else. The UTD online class is well written and easy to follow, although there are some differences from the GUE scheme.

Has it always been like this. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, when I was doing my shopping around, the X1 was not sold including software or connection cable.

User replaceable or factory? Does the potting of the guts complicate battery changes?I have no idea as to the extent of your knowledge or ignorance in any capacity. I don't know you and you don't know me. Personally, I am voicing my opinion. I did at one time seriously consider acquiring the X1 and changed that decision to a Predator based on shopping research I did. I'm relaying the reasons for my choosing. I am happy with my choice, and would go for the Predator if I had to chose once again.

You buy the software from Ross et al. Everything else required is supplied with the unit & to the best of my knowledge, always has been.

Factory replaceable.

So you know no more than I do about the percentage of dissatisfied users of either machine.

Your choices & the reason for them are yours to make. FUD & misinformation doesn't help anyone.

Jax, I just looked at the poll results for the 1st time, & see that you'v made your choice.

PS. Were you the 1st responder to your Poll?

I wonder what's entailed in a battery change. If the battery is potted, do they drill it out and re-pot a fresh one in? Seems like a lot of work, it may be cheaper to just send an all new computer off from the assembly line.
So you know no more than I do about the percentage of dissatisfied users of either machine.

Seriously, now. All I'm giving is my perception. I do not have hard numbers to back said perception. Maybe my perception is also biased by some of the other problems that you hear from the the Xen/Xeo. Like in the early days of the X1 it seems that those two went out to market with some issues not totally figured out. It seems that these 3 liquivision products fully launched into the market without having ironed out all of the problems ei doing it right the first time. Eventually they seem to figure things out and end up producing solid products. I just havent read or heard of the Predator having such systemic issues. I think I've read of 3 cases where the buttons start getting defective.

It seems that either company is responsive and will not leave their customers hanging out to dry.

I wonder what's entailed in a battery change. If the battery is potted, do they drill it out and re-pot a fresh one in? Seems like a lot of work, it may be cheaper to just send an all new computer off from the assembly line.

How Liquivision handles such things is their business, you'll have to ask them.

I didn't bother clicking on the "you think your better than me" nonsense.

PS. In response to your added a para; actually there is no response, it's just a cheap shot about what was rather than what is & it's just not worth the effort

Last edited:
:eek:k:

Have a good night, Mark... or good morning since you're in the other side of the globe.

Reactions: Jax
It's about 16:00, temps dropping, currently only 33oC, looks like one hell of a thunderstorm is about to come crashing in, with any luck it'll reduce the humidity to something more tolerable.

Pleasant dreams.

Don't want to derail the thread, but why was the Xeo not included in the poll? Is it not considered expedition worthy like the X1 and Predator? Lack of VPM on the Xeo seems to be the only true drawback, and now with the upgraded battery housing, the battery dive hours between the Xen/Xeo and the Predator should be much closer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom