Better OC Trimix Computer . . .

Which of these two ranks better in the catagory?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is one of my missions for the upcoming Beneath the Sea show as the manufacturers will be there so I can do the touchy-feely thing with the computers and ask questions directly. Bruce from Shearwater will be giving a presentation on Tec Diving Computers during the show that should be helpful. BTW - I also plan to give the Hollis DG05 a good look over as well.

Reactions: Jax
Regarding the X1 battery replacement, I seem to remember if it's outside the battery warranty period it's something like $400? (I'm sure someone will correct that figure if I'm wrong)

Rightly or wrongly this was one of my reasons for not going with an X1. Just did not trust an (essentially) non replaceable battery.

Google "Liquivision X1 battery replacement" and wade through the legalese in the lengthy pdf in the first hit

Edit. Found this: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...244509-new-liquivision-x1-battery-policy.html Don't know if that is still the current policy or not.

Do you really know any more than I do about the percentage of dissatisfied users of either machine?
Slamfire:
I have no idea as to the extent of your knowledge or ignorance in any capacity. I don't know you and you don't know me. Personally, I am voicing my opinion. I did at one time seriously consider acquiring the X1 and changed that decision to a Predator based on shopping research I did. I'm relaying the reasons for my choosing. I am happy with my choice, and would go for the Predator if I had to chose once again.

Now, now . . . :no:

Kern, he's not dissing the X1; he's repeating what I have seen on several discussion threads. Just reporting what he heard from the people around him.

What IS coming out from this discussion is that there are not recent issues with reliability.

Kern - Yes, I was one of the first -- I guess I should have clicked them all to avoid skewing the poll, huh?

It seems that since the v5 of the X1 was released that units having failure is close to nothing.

Regarding the batterie, I've read (don't know if it is still true) that even the first unit that where sold are still running. The batterie is really nothing to worry it will work for years.
Personally the day my x1 will require a new batterie I think it would be time to buy a new computer. Nothing last for ever specially in diving, replacing aging gear is a good policy to keep failure away.

I don't think he means anything by it, Jax. He's just being misanthropic for misanthropy's sake. I envision him editing a post and then concluding, "needs more misanthropy." Very similar to hearing a fine song and then concluding, "needs more cowbell." Here's another link for Kern not to click on:

Going back to the subject, I don't think anybody can deny that the X1 is a very capable computer. I read a post on TDS about a double rebreather crazy deep dive in Egypt. The diver was carrying DR5's and X1's. Only the X1's were able to complete the dive as functioning dive computers. The DR5s wimped out to bottom timer mode. That's gotta tell you something about them.

However for me, in my search for a trimix computer, I ended up choosing the Predator for the reasons explained before. Jax, a little more than a year ago I was in your place doing my research for trimix computer. I was practically decided on an X1. Read about my hunting process here: zeeinkydarkness.com • View topic - CCR computers -- are connectors (fischer?) really important?

Nickel and dime....interesting considering that when I did my research for acquiring present computer, I do not recall the X-1 coming with anything more than its charger and by the time I had to acquire the software + connectivity to download dive profile to laptop or desktop computer, it ended up being a very expensive proposal for what I consider to be a relatively comparable product.

VPM...for the type of diving that I presently do, last time I checked, there were very minor deviations between VPM and Buhlman dive/deco profiles. So i have no problem diving with the latter. Maybe that could change if I eventually consider diving trimix but for now I am quite satisfied. However, the nice thing is that if it ever becomes the case, I will be able to get VPM-B for a relatively low cost and installed it on my Predator.

V-Planner...I have to admit it would be nice if one license would allow an individual to have it installed on a laptop/desktop computer as well as on a mobile device. At the moment, two separate licenses are required...

Tapping vs buttons...to each its own. I prefer the latter and have no difficulty navigating through the various menus either at the surface or underwater as I find it very intuitive as when you enter sub-menus, sub-titles are easily readable to let you know about the functions of each button.

I also like the fact that it is a dive computer that can grow with you and it is up to you to decide if you want to pay the delta for the capabilities that you may or may not require in the future. personally, I am quite honestly not considering trimix (let alone rebreathers) but I wanted a computer that offered me one step above what I was after. Therefore the basic Predator (stand-alone, OC Trimix) meets not only all my present requirements but also goes one step beyond.

VPM...for the type of diving that I presently do, last time I checked, there were very minor deviations between VPM and Buhlman dive/deco profiles. So i have no problem diving with the latter. Maybe that could change if I eventually consider diving trimix but for now I am quite satisfied.

It's less to do with what gas you're using and more to do with runtimes and how it calculates exponential loading. For dives 100-200 minutes in duration the models are very similar. Buhlmann starts to penalize you in the 200-300 minute dive (per the article in TDM). My run times are <4 hours, so it's not a consideration for me; trimix or not.

It's less to do with what gas you're using and more to do with runtimes and how it calculates exponential loading. For dives 100-200 minutes in duration the models are very similar. Buhlmann starts to penalize you in the 200-300 minute dive (per the article in TDM). My run times are <4 hours, so it's not a consideration for me; trimix or not.

Is "penalize" the same as "more conservative" or "keep you safer"? :D Us old fat guys need all the penalizing we can get....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom