Better OC Trimix Computer . . .

Which of these two ranks better in the catagory?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So do I, well I actually do it on the X1 rather than a laptop. I believe you can do this with a Predator as well.
Yes, but like many tech divers, I cut my tables using V-Planner, and dive using my gauge with my computer as a backup, or maybe my tables as a backup to my computer. In any case, divers are hunched over their laptops before a dive.
I did make the assertion that X-1's need to be charged every night. I shouldn't have said that. In my experience X-1's ARE charged every night. Maybe they don't need to be.

Reactions: Jax
Yes, but like many tech divers, I cut my tables using V-Planner, and dive using my gauge with my computer as a backup, or maybe my tables as a backup to my computer. In any case, divers are hunched over their laptops before a dive.
I did make the assertion that X-1's need to be charged every night. I shouldn't have said that. In my experience X-1's ARE charged every night. Maybe they don't need to be.

Yes, I cut my tables using V-Planner. I don't need the laptop, I use the dive planning mode on the X1. Then I do the dive using the X1, with gauge & tables as backup. I believe the Predator has the same functionality.

And what about the HelO2 and the DG05? Aren't those OC Trimix computers too?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Jax asked about 2 machines, personally, I'm not interested in any single phase algorithm that requires a kludge to give me a profile I want to dive.

mathauck0814:
It boiled down to real estate. The screen on the Shearwater is simply bigger and holds more information so I can glance and make decisions.

Really? I don't agree.

The Shearwater screen has no more info shown. The Shearwater fills up the available space with static (unnecessary) labels, redundant information and, its depth and runtime texts are smaller.

The same 8 pieces of data are on the X1 screen plus more. The X1 makes better use of the space provided, and efficient layout.

In OC mode Depth, Runtime, Temp, Mix, TTS, Stop depth, Stop Time, NDL, battery, and V-Planner Live / MultiDeco offer actual ascent / descent rate shown, and a graphical stop ceiling.

In CCR mode V-Planner Live / MultiDeco, the diver can choose three different display layouts to get the cells on screen.

Regards

Thank you Ross for explaining why you like the X1 over the Predator. I think you make a great product, and I see a lot of divers using it. On out tech trips I see divers hunched over their laptops planning dives. I certainly do.

You don't have to hunch over a laptop if you have V-planner for Android . . . or iPhone . . . or . . . . :wink:

And what about the HelO2 and the DG05? Aren't those OC Trimix computers too?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The only dislike I have about my current computer is that I have to turn the light on, or shine a light on, to see it in dim lighting conditions. Therefore, I wasn't really interested in another LCD.

BTW, Alberto, I will probably take both computer's eClasses before I make a decision.

I wish I didn't have to do this, because that $1500 would pay for a trimix class. :(

By the way, folks, I really appreciate this reasoned discussion on these items.

While I have done the research, there's an experience factor you just cannot get from the stats.

OK, then, completely off topic, I think you should save your $1500 and take the trimix class. Then, you should plan all of your dives manually using v-planner on your favorite device for using V-planner, and put all of your stops on a flip slate on your arm. You'll need your light to see the flip slate too. Then, put one of your many Uwatec computers in gauge mode and dive tables. I have nothing against computers, but it seems that folks who learn to rely on computers when learning to tech dive use it as a crutch rather than really understanding the whys and wherefores of making their stops. I didn't switch to a computer until last year. I was shocked to see how much more deco I had to do on the same dive to 150 feet on trimix vs. air.

I think that the results of the poll are pretty clear. The X1 and Shearwater are neck and neck for the reasons you asked for. I like the Shearwater for its extra weight and bulk. I happen to like the bluetooth connection for downloading, but I never install my own upgrades, I send it off. I'm too likely to brick the damn thing. With your smaller wrists (dare I say "dainty"?), you might prefer the X1 with it's more robust computer connection and rechargeable battery.

I don't think for usability, reliability, and capability anyone has made a convincing argument either way. I think it comes down to personal preference. The X1 had some growing pains, but those seem to be taken care of. I'd have to say that 40% of the rebreather divers on the Spree use X1s, and 40% use Shearwaters. The balance is VR or Dive Rite computers.

Last edited:
OK, then, completely off topic, I think you should save your $1500 and take the trimix class. Then, you should plan all of your dives manually using v-planner on your favorite device for using V-planner, and put all of your stops on a flip slate on your arm. You'll need your light to see the flip slate too. Then, put one of your many Uwatec computers in gauge mode and dive tables. I have nothing against computers, but it seems that folks who learn to rely on computers when learning to tech dive use it as a crutch rather than really understanding the whys and wherefores of making their stops. I didn't switch to a computer until last year. I was shocked to see how much more deco I had to do on the same dive to 150 feet on trimix vs. air.

I think that the results of the poll are pretty clear. The X1 and Shearwater are neck and neck for the reasons you asked for. I like the Shearwater for its extra weight and bulk. I happen to like the bluetooth connection for downloading, but I never install my own upgrades, I send it off. I'm too likely to brick the damn thing. With your smaller wrists (dare I say "[-]dainty[/-] scrawny"?), you might prefer the X1 with it's more robust computer connection and rechargeable battery.

You are, of course, absolutely right and completely logic.

The fact is, I don't *need* a trimix computer anytime soon, because I just can't take the time off to dive more and do those dives.

However, where does logic come in when there's a new gadget to be had? :facepalm:

:D

However, I am surprised at the skew toward the Predator. I figured the three factors would be distributed, also, based on each person's experience. Definitely unexpected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom