Better OC Trimix Computer . . .

Which of these two ranks better in the catagory?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the interface is non-intuitive. It's an extremely simple program to use. It does record and present a lot of data, and I respect the fact that your profiles upload to Ross's database (undoubtedly the most extensive database of technical dives anywhere) and that you are prompted to submit reports to DAN (although I wish that, if you haven't done that in some time, you could start somewhere other than at the first one you missed, because having that many to do keeps me from doing any of them).

What I don't like about the logging software is that any information on the dive that is not from the computer is entered in narrative form, and is therefore not searchable. I like to be able to search a database of my dives for the ones I did in the Red Sea, or my cave dives, and you can't index things that way in DiveLog Manager. So I export to DivingLog, which gives me the ability to do that. And Ross recently told me that he's changed the export function so that you can now do more than one dive at once, which is much nicer.

I have to say that, over the years I've had my X1, when I've had a complaint or criticism of something in the software, Ross has either been able to explain to me where I'm screwing up, or he has incorporated my requests in a subsequent update. And updates are easy to download, and they're free.

I don't know what you would do if you scratched an X1's screen. I haven't managed to do it yet (about three years and 500 dives on the things).

Thanks for that very clear and specific info! :thumb:

The Uwatec Smart Trak is like a spreadsheet, where you can show columns or not, and sort on them. To make dives searchable by Wreck, for example, I preface the site name with type info: Wreck - Yukon. A simple sort allows me to find anything. Maybe you could do that, to make your dives searchable? :idk:

The narrative part, though . . . I'll have to see if the find function works on that.

I don't know if anyone else is following this selection process, but here's a note for whomever:

When you buy a computer like this, you are buying a package - the computer, the PC log, and the interface. One should be sure to look at all three for viability.

I know some on this board have bought recreational computers, only to find out that they have to pay yet another $100+ to get the interface cable. They are justifiably angry that they have this extra expense.

If one has a computer system that has any part, piece, or interface that becomes a PITA to the user, your perception of the whole system is diminished.

I don't know if anyone else is following this selection process, but here's a note for whomever:

When you buy a computer like this, you are buying a package - the computer, the PC log, and the interface. One should be sure to look at all three for viability.

I know some on this board have bought recreational computers, only to find out that they have to pay yet another $100+ to get the interface cable. They are justifiably angry that they have this extra expense.

If one has a computer system that has any part, piece, or interface that becomes a PITA to the user, your perception of the whole system is diminished.

Ok, but assuming you mean liquivision,
On their site it's very clear what you're getting when buying an x1: 1 x1 unit, 1 charger, 1 usb cable etc... and very clear where to buy the software (since the interresting thing about the x1 is its abiliti to support any programer that wants to develope a deco program for it).
Then on the software site it's very clear that you get a full trimix/oc/ccr program to run on your x1.
Your x1 is then fully loaded and you don't need to buy anything else no pins no nothing.

Reactions: Jax
Oh yes, here's another good analogy of Predator vs. X1

Predator is like Apple. You get hardware and software from one company with only one company to call for support(and good support at that)

X1 is like Winblows. You buy hardware from one company and software from another. If something non-obvious hardware related happens who do you call?

Reactions: Jax
As I said, Ross has been very good about my questions wrt the software on the X1. On occasion, he's told me that no, I can't do what I want to do, but that he'd consider including it in a later version. (For example, we got the stopwatch and the time of day displays on the X1 this way.) I don't have any qualms about product support for my X1 software, and Ross usually gets back to me within 24 hours, and often faster than that.

Oh yes, here's another good analogy of Predator vs. X1

Predator is like Apple. You get hardware and software from one company with only one company to call for support(and good support at that)

X1 is like Winblows. You buy hardware from one company and software from another. If something non-obvious hardware related happens who do you call?

I've been using the X1 since it was a prototype ... got one of the originals with instructions to try to break it, in fact ... apparently they heard I was good at that. Anytime I've had a problem, I've contacted Liquivision. If they thought Ross was the right guy to help, they'd let me know. The only time that happened, I had the problem resolved in less than a day. Turned out to be more operator error than a problem with the product, but Ross was right quick about helping me resolve it anyway.

This thread has some good information ... but many of the replies are just silly. Both of these computers are high-quality products. Both offer top-shelf customer support. Trying to find fault with either is stupid ... just decide which one better suits your needs and go with it. There's no reason to justify your purchase by making excuses about why the other one isn't as good ... it's purely a personal preference thing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been using the X1 since it was a prototype ... got one of the originals with instructions to try to break it, in fact ... apparently they heard I was good at that. Anytime I've had a problem, I've contacted Liquivision. If they thought Ross was the right guy to help, they'd let me know. The only time that happened, I had the problem resolved in less than a day. Turned out to be more operator error than a problem with the product, but Ross was right quick about helping me resolve it anyway.

This thread has some good information ... but many of the replies are just silly. Both of these computers are high-quality products. Both offer top-shelf customer support. Trying to find fault with either is stupid ... just decide which one better suits your needs and go with it. There's no reason to justify your purchase by making excuses about why the other one isn't as good ... it's purely a personal preference thing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:confused:

Is that pointed at me? I don't understand?

Seriously, Ross? Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, and nonsense? :shakehead:

Perhaps instead, you might ask why a first-class researcher and analysis engineer cannot find clear and prominent information on your product?

I was also searching for your "DiveLog manager". I could not find it on the Liquivision website. I would like to see the software, as it is part of the total package. Can one get the "DiveLog mananger" only with the purchase of the computer?

EDIT: Inability to find complete information does seem to be a common problem on most dive computers' websites, though.

This is getting too funny.

This thread has certainly run its course. To much thinking and not enough helium. I will not be thinking of you while on the miller lite today.

Eric

It would be interesting doing a logical decision matrix on this subject.

The weighting would be difficult, as that is subjective, but it could be put in a spreadsheet so others can change the weighting as they wish.

The other problem would be scoring - that, too, would be subjective as it is difficult to put a score on attributes such as gas models. Of course, they could be binary, so the weighting could make the difference.

:hm: Anyone interested?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom