better dry glove material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lakesdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, gang,
I did the St. Clair river yesterday. Temps in the low 30's. I wore wet gloves. I have the ring system drygloves, but the material the drygloves are made from is very fragile. (I once tore a finger open on the hook of a bungee cord) The river is FULL of crap that could destroy a glove.

The question:
Has anyone found a more durable substitute for the standard issue ring system dryglove? Some kind of unlined chemical glove for instance that would still function with the ring system?

I read on a website re: diving under the antarctic that they'd used a glove made by Boss, but repeated emails to them got not reply.

So any hints/ideas would be appreciated. My hands are STILL cold. :D

Thanks for the velcro vs. zipper post. But this is about tougher dry gloves.(which sounds like a good idea). I e-mailed them, and noted they also have 'inner linnings' for gloves. That too sounds like a good idea. Is this a fairly common item? The water we dive is often 43-50F and being new to the drysuit world I'm considering all options.

Ha, so you emailed them too! I emailed them asking about the difference between the Glove and the Ring Glove. I am curious what the difference is between the two. The web site doesn't make it obvious.

Did you notice that the picture of the Ring Gloves, the gloves look like they have a latex gauntlet rather than just the glove material.

I don't know whether that would be an improvement or not over the regular glove when using it in the DUI SI-5 ring system.

I'm not going to change out my DUI rings for those anytime soon, but I do want to put a set of gloves into my "save-a-dive" kit.

I did notice the liners, worth taking a look at. I have to wear two sets of the acrylic liners to keep my hands warm. So what did you ask them?

The lastest fad in the health care industry is "latex allergy". While some patients and healthcare workers suffer from this I find it odd that no one in the dive industry seems to plauged with this "disease".

That being said the answer to latex gloves due to this problem was Nitrile-or Nitril, I can't remember the spelling.

Nitrile is flexible, yet almost impossible to rip are puncture. The sensitivity of the material is excellent. They are latex free.

I am wondering when someone in the dive industry is going to make gloves out of this wonder material instead of the easy to rip latex. And how about Nitrile cuffs and collars on dry suits?

I have a pair of Nothern Diver dry gloves. These things look indestructable. They are made of kevlar neoprene with very heavy latex seals. The back of the hand is coated with a plastic. I bought them from deepbluedive.com a store in the U.K. for $50.00 total-including shipping.

I have a pair of Nordic Blues but they don't compare to the material of the Nothern Diver's. But the Blues are more flexible.

I bet Bob3 could get you a pair of Nothern Divers. You might be able to stretch them over a set of rings, since they have a very long cuff on them.....I don't know for sure though.

There was a guy on Ebay selling Butyl gloves. That is the same material in bike tires. He uses them with a ring system and claims to have a much lower tear, rip incidence than laex.

I hit in 'butyl gloves' and the first site that comes up is North Safety Products. They have a large selection...Nitrile, butyl, etc.
Check it out.

MY wife and I do a lot of Deep Wreck diving in cold waters and we have never used them

Aquamore

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom