Better diving... Lake Whitney or Twin Lakes?

Better diving... Lake Whitney or Twin Lakes?

• Lake Whitney, it's the BOMB

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No way! I'm a Twin Lakes fan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're both so great, I'm seeing double

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wouldn't dive either unless I had to

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven't been to both to make a comparison

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our local group has a dive trip planned for Oct. 16th to Lake Whitney. However, if the diving is better in Twin Lakes for that time of year, I'd rather go there. I very rarely hear good things about Whitney, and I get highly variable info about Twin Lakes.

Using Lake Travis as a benchmark, how do Whitney and Twin Lakes rank? I'm talking about max depths, vis, underwater stuff to see, surface amenities, blah blah. I've never been to either, personally.

hey mods, can you shove the other posts from my earlier non-poll thread in here? While you're at it, vote on the poll, and tell all your texas friends to vote too. Don't be shy.

edited by Dee....merged as per your request. I also edited your poll to allow for another option.

archman:
Our local group has a dive trip planned for Oct. 16th to Lake Whitney. However, if the diving is better in Twin Lakes for that time of year, I'd rather go there. I very rarely hear good things about Whitney, and I get highly variable info about Twin Lakes.

Using Lake Travis as a benchmark, how do Whitney and Twin Lakes rank? I'm talking about max depths, vis, underwater stuff to see, surface amenities, blah blah. I've never been to either, personally.

I never have dove Twin Lakes. Lake Whitney (Scuba Point) is in terrible shape in terms of vis in most depths,,,,very dark so you would need a light even in the day. It is deep say 100' at the park with a few things to see if you can see them! The lake is a deep one and I am sure better diving can be found on the north shore. Of course Travis is always a good bet for all types of dives.

I've never dove Whitney but I have been to Twin Lakes and Lake Travis (Windy Point). There isn't as much to see in TL as Travis since it's not as deep and relatively small. Max depth is 50 ft but only in some areas. The vis is typically better than Travis, but lately it's been crap. It's a good training lake to work on skills. The surface amenities are wonderful. Nice work benches for your BCD and tank. They send a golf cart around for tank refills. Port o potties and changing stations. There are convenient stores, and fast food chains within a mile.

What?! Two days and all I get are two responses?! I KNOW all you Houston folks hit up Twin Lakes like the plague, so chime in. There's a bunch of you that've been to Whitney too... somebody must keep that scuba shop in operation.

I know, I'll make this a poll. Yeehaw!

uh... how do I do this? This is so embarassing.

Well...I've never been to Lake Whitney so I can't make a comparison. As for the conditions at Twin Lakes, all you have to do is read the posts in the thread from last week.

capelli:
whitney is terrible right now
derrick

I hear that a lot. I guess the real question then would be, when isn't Whitney bad?

As for Twin Lakes, is the recent crummy vis due to wind mixing, rainfall, or some other temporary phenomenon? Fall plankton bloom maybe?

archman:
As for Twin Lakes, is the recent crummy vis due to wind mixing, rainfall, or some other temporary phenomenon? Fall plankton bloom maybe?

I think it's a combination of several things. We've had alot of rain and run off as well aas lots of high winds. And the roto-tillers have been increasing, but it can't be totally put off to them as the far east side of the lake is also very cloudy whereas it's usually the best voz on the lake. We all noticed that the lake never cleared up in the spring from the spring turn over, we never had the 20-30 viz that we've had in the past.

So there's really no way to point to just one thing...it just is. But it's close to home and it's wet, which is all I require most of the time!

Hi Arch,

Another option (for consideration) is Offatt's Bayou in Galveston. In October it is easy to get to, minimal amount of boat traffic, free parking right on the bank and pretty easy shore entry. However the water is salty! Viz is usually a dependable 6-8 feet, sometimes a lot better. A lot more to see than Twin Lakes ot travis. However, everyone has their own cup of tea.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom