Watch Sized Or "full" Sized Computer ?

So..?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damlif

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey !

I've looked for a thread like this one but couldn't find one. If I missed it (or them), I'm sorry and redirecting me to those would be appreciated !

So, I currently dive using a Uwatec Aladin Prime computer I bought from someone at a very cheap price a few years ago, and I feel like it's time to move on, I want to be able to use it for Nitrox.

So my friends have Cressi computers, not all of my friends, but 4 or 5 of them, and they've told me that they were really easy to use while still having all the functionalities I would need.

I went on their website and saw they had 3 computers : the Leonardo, the Gitto and the Newton (Drake being made for freediving is what I understood).

The Leonardo is off my list, I don't see myself using the one button system. I already find it annoying to only have two buttons on my Uwatec so, yeah.

I'm left with the Giotto, which I have tried in a dive shop, and the Newton.

I've read a bunch of reviews of both, without ever succeeding to find a comparison, and I've concluded they're pretty much the same. Same functionalities, same algorithms and both have a 3 (well 4 for the Newton if you include the 'Light' button) buttons system, which I love. Only difference is the size.

I'm not planning on wearing the computer daily, as a watch, so the question is really about size underwater. I just want to know which one will be more comfortable.

Should I go with a bigger screen and front facing buttons for a better and easier experience, or go with the smaller sized screen which won't be as bulky on my wrist. Using the Newton's buttons while underwater would be a bit hard with gloves but I don't see why I would need to.

So now it's just a question of practicality. Do you think the size (well actually it's not that big at all compared to other computers) of the Giotto will bother me ?

Thanks for your thoughts !

P.S : I'm including a pole, although a vote without an explanation has little to no value for me.

P.P.S : I've only mentioned Cressi products but if you wanna recommend other computers, it'll be appreciated, even though I'll most likely go with Cressi anyways since I like their interface so much.

Personally, I like the big size (I have a Mares Icon) because they are much easier to read. I started with an Oceanic 100. I found that the indicators for ascent rate, N load, etc. to be way too small to be read easily.

First, how old are you? Once you go over 40, you will find the watches pretty much a pain underwater. Presbyopia.

Second, as a diver, you want all the information you need right there in front of you. Do you have a problem with the Aladin on your wrist? If not, why is size a consideration?

If you buy used, you can get some pretty splendid computers through this and other forums, as well as ebay.

I am a Uwatec fan, although some features annoy me. Look at the TEC 2G if you can find one, it is watch-size.

Shearwater's are always the go-to and Predators and Petrels (used) are inexpensive right now as eveyone is jonesing for the Perdix.

There seem to be a few $200 aeris a300s still left on amazon: 2 buttons, more features than the giotto, for less bucks.

Never having used a watch-style computer, I can't help but wonder how important that lesser bulk under water will be for you. What are the concerns about a larger computer? Do you expect your arm to become sore during a dive because you are carrying so much more weight? Will it be too hard for you to squeeze through tight passages? Will it get in the way of taking your gear on and off under water? Will you become too fatigued from lugging it around to get back on the boat after the dive?

I not only carry a relatively large computer, I carry two of them. I don't notice any problems related to bulk. I like the information I can see at a glance from those large screens. I like the ease of operation from buttons I can manipulate even with thick gloves.

I'm 49 and wear reading glasses.

I have been using an Oceanic Atom 3.0 for over a year and love it. It is watch sized. I added a Shearwater Petrel 2 to my inventory when I started tech training. I sold the Petrel after a few months and replaced it with a SeaBear H3, which is watch-sized tech computer. I didn't like the Petrel because it was too big and bulky. I love the H3.

So, I voted watch-sized in your poll. But, before I bought the Atom, I looked at lots of computers, including the Cressi ones. I opted not to go with a Cressi because the algorithm they use is more conservative* and I wanted one with a more liberal algorithm. I believe the Atom and most other Oceanics, along with Sherwoods and maybe some others, to be among the most liberal on the market.

This thread has a lot of good info:

So you want to buy a new computer?

*more correctly, Cressi's implementation of the algorithm is more conservative than Oceanic's implementation of their algorithm, which is more liberal. This is regarding No Decompression Limit times, and is generally not much of an issue unless you start doing multiple dives per day and especially when you're doing 3 or more. And none of that really matters if you're not doing dives where your gas lasts long enough to let you stay down for the full NDL time. I regularly stay down for the full amount of NDL time, as I use big tanks, so it matters to me.

It comes down to personal preference and what aspects are more important to you or less important to you.

My first computer was a watch-style Suunto, and I LOVED it. What I liked best was that I always knew where it was, whether I was in the water, on the boat, at my lodging, etc.: on my wrist. It was unlikely that I would forget to take it with me, since putting it on my wrist was an ingrained habit--like wearing my wristwatch. Unlikely I would place it on the seat on the boat and accidentally sit on it. Unlikely to misplace it. Except for the few seconds putting my arm through that sleeve of my wetsuit, it was always on my wrist. I did not wear it "as a watch" when not on a dive trip. However, pre-diving, if I wanted to, say, do a little dive planning, there was no need to rummage through other gear, take it out of a case, put the case back, etc. Post-diving, I enjoyed being able to review the dive log even after putting all my other gear away. Sitting at the bar later with my buddies discussing the day's dives, I could look at my log if a question came up as to how deep a certain dive was, or what time we got in the water, no-fly time remaining, etc. On a purely esthetic note, I thought the watch-style computer was kind of cool--very James Bond or Dick Tracy.

HOWEVER, the watch-style display got harder to read as my eyes aged. Not long ago, I reluctantly ditched it for a wrist-style computer with a large display. I keep the watch-style Suunto as a backup, but I have to squint to see it. If my vision were better, I would love the freedom and sense of security of a watch-style computer.

To Lorenzoid's point, I should add: I added gauge reader lenses to my mask, to help with reading my Atom. $15 at Wal-mart for a set of Hydro-Tac lenses that work GREAT! I could read the main numbers on my Atom without help, but I couldn't read the small labels on the display without reader lenses in my mask.

If you need reading glasses, I think (just personal opinion) it's a good idea to have lenses in your mask anyway. There are more things you might want to be able to read underwater than just your computer. (One example: your buddy might be trying to show you something on their computer. It's happened to me, anyway.) And once you have reader lenses, the size of the computer display becomes a non-issue.

Reader lenses make me feel old. So instead of $15 reader lenses, I spent around $1500 to get both me and my wifebuddy new computers with big screens. o_O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom