Better diving... Lake Whitney or Twin Lakes?

Better diving... Lake Whitney or Twin Lakes?

• Lake Whitney, it's the BOMB

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No way! I'm a Twin Lakes fan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're both so great, I'm seeing double

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wouldn't dive either unless I had to

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven't been to both to make a comparison

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Our local group has a dive trip planned for Oct. 16th to Lake Whitney. However, if the diving is better in Twin Lakes for that time of year, I'd rather go there. I very rarely hear good things about Whitney, and I get highly variable info about Twin Lakes.

I havent been diving at twin lakes but here is my report for Lake Whitney:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t60539-.html

archman:
What?! Two days and all I get are two responses?! I KNOW all you Houston folks hit up Twin Lakes like the plague, so chime in. There's a bunch of you that've been to Whitney too... somebody must keep that scuba shop in operation.

I know, I'll make this a poll. Yeehaw!

uh... how do I do this? This is so embarassing.

I havent been to either. I go to The Reef in Houston often, but only to freedive (scuba is too expensive there!!).

Since I am getting ready to move back to Houston, I sure hope that Twin Lakes park is good. As soon as I get my tanks hyro'd I will be looking for dive buddies.

I very much appreciate all these replies, especially the trip reports. If I'd have to make to make a decision between the two, it seems that Twin Lakes is probably the safer dive site. Whitney's deeper and rocky, but that chronically poor vis is not something I'd advise taking newer divers into.

Usually our College Station divers are pretty new to the sport, and use unfamiliar rental gear.

I'd estimate vis at Twin Lakes yesterday was five feet and less. That includes the areas most distant from the training areas and the entry platforms. In the plus side, it seems I saw way more fish than usual.

Back
Top Bottom