Better diving... Lake Whitney or Twin Lakes?

Better diving... Lake Whitney or Twin Lakes?

• Lake Whitney, it's the BOMB

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No way! I'm a Twin Lakes fan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're both so great, I'm seeing double

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wouldn't dive either unless I had to

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven't been to both to make a comparison

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Whitney has good visibility right now, for a lake anyway, at about 6-12 feet. They sank a 52' houseboat out there at 90' in the scuba park two weeks ago. I have dove both sites and I can say that there is definitely more to see at Whitney. They are supposed to be having some kind of a pumpkin carving contest underwater on Oct. 17 so it's something to do with your weekend if nothing else.

Wow, a positive Lake Whitney review. I haven't read one of those in well... years.

If the vis is leaning more towards the 12 foot end than the 6 foot one, I'd consider that okay diving. 6 foot, bleah! If you go there a lot Ninja, can you tell me what the likelihood of vis improving might be in the next couple of weeks?

Ninja, how is the fish life? Any congregagtions to mess with at platforms? I love feeding weiners to the critters at Windy Point, makes my dive oh so special.

ScubaNinja1127:
Lake Whitney has good visibility right now, for a lake anyway, at about 6-12 feet. They sank a 52' houseboat out there at 90' in the scuba park two weeks ago. I have dove both sites and I can say that there is definitely more to see at Whitney. They are supposed to be having some kind of a pumpkin carving contest underwater on Oct. 17 so it's something to do with your weekend if nothing else.

Hey Jason!

So they finally moved the houseboat?
Where in the channel did it end up?

Kevin.

We never got that houseboat moved. I scuttled another one away from the no boat buoys in the river channel. I worked for a week to try and keep it floating but the owner decided it was a lost cause. Hey, John is trying to get ahold of you. We have something major coming up next weekend that we need you around for.

Jas

My son and I are heading out to Whitney today. I'll give you a run down on what we find.

In general, the vis is in the 5'-10' range, usually closer to 5' and green along the cliff banks. There are shelves that are full of shells and the obligatory rec lake treasures. Away from the platform you don't see many fish, but we have encountered a 3+' catfish laying on a log.

The vis opens up considerably if you go deep, but due to the surface conditions its pitch black. Be sure you have a decent dive light. They have/had a deep platform somewhere in the 70' range close to the entry point.

It's much warmer than Travis. A 3mm should be plenty of thermal protection. I've been to 90' in just swim trunks. Its chilly, but not nipple popping.

I've never been to TL so I can't give you a comparison.

The lake condition is still pretty much as I described yesterday. The vis was down to about 3' because of all the recent rain.

Topside conditions weren't exactly ideal. We actually had a 30 second discussion about whether or not to gear up. Once we got in the water everything was fine. Well, except for the vis.

We stayed shallow due to dive light issues so I don't know if the vis opened up at depth. At about 40' there wasn't any more ambient light and the water turned black. My computer registered 79 degrees, which was 2 degrees warmer than the surface.

We got to meet ScubaNinja. He said he saw my post so came out to open the shop. BTW he does a most excellent tank fill. Thanks again Jason!

Texass:
We got to meet ScubaNinja. He said he saw my post so came out to open the shop.

Aw man!
...okay, if you work for either a Twin Lakes or Lake Whitney scuba shop, post it before ya' vote in the poll. I have a suspicious mind. :eyebrow:

Ahhh, but that is the catch, I don't work there, I just have keys because I get so much air during the year that it was more economical to let me do it myself than it would be to have someone drive out there every day.

ScubaNinja1127:
We never got that houseboat moved. I scuttled another one away from the no boat buoys in the river channel. I worked for a week to try and keep it floating but the owner decided it was a lost cause. Hey, John is trying to get ahold of you. We have something major coming up next weekend that we need you around for.

Jas

OK, I will contact John.

ScubaNinja1127:
I don't work there, I just have keys because I get so much air during the year that it was more economical to let me do it myself than it would be to have someone drive out there every day.

Oh wow, if only all dive shops were like that. Please tell me their compressor is separate from the actual shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom