Best Webstore for buying Canon waterproof casings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I just need some simple advice on where are the best (and cheapest) places on the net to buy Canon waterproof cases? Leisure pro doesn't stock my camera's specific case anymore. I'm looking for one for my A75 powershot, if that can help.

I was also wondering if the weight set Canon sells for these casings is worth it? Is it that important to weight down you camera?

Any constructive input would be welcome!:coffee:

I got mine from Amazon (WP-DC800). I recommend B&H too (BHPhoto.com), they're a real pro shop, and have just about everything I've ever looked for. You can always try eBay, if you're adventurous, I do alot of shopping there too... :wink:

Oh - on weight... I don't use any in my Canon (though it would help for my Nikon SLR); now that I think about it it might be a good idea, since the neck strap is useless otherwise. I just hold on to it all the time, so I never really thought much about it.

You can also check out www.reefphoto.com. They specialize in camera equipment for divers. I know they are actually selling the Canon 5D cheaper than B&H Photo.

Jinjer:
You can also check out www.reefphoto.com. They specialize in camera equipment for divers. I know they are actually selling the Canon 5D cheaper than B&H Photo.

and unlike the ones mentioned above, Reef can actually answer your questions, help you set up your rig and give you tips / advice to get you up and running.

Dave

Try underwaterphotography.com

I got my ikelite case at B&H and they handed me their catalog as I walked in. I knew what I wanted so didn't really pay the book any mind. Got my case $369 and when i got home I was flipping through the catalog and I find my case to look for accessories and the price states $299. I went back a few days later and pointed out the price differance and they go to the back of the catalog and it states prices in catalog are no valid for this month or something to that effect. It was a June catalog and I purchased the item in June. So all prices in the catalog are wrong, why bother printing one if if your not going to honor your printed price. They wouldn't budge so I said ok, took my stuff and walked out and will not shop with them again. I could have returned it but didn't want to deal with the hassle of now tracking down another case and ordering and all that stuff but they should honor their printed price.

Just thought I would share my experience with B&H, look around and make sure places have a good return policy, a number you can actually speak to someone and most important that they are an authorized seller so there will be no warranty issues if anything happens to the case.

I have a Digital Rebel XT with the 17-85 IS lens. I cannot comment on other dealers (except B&H - I have been pleased with purchases from them as well. In fact that's where I bought the camera and lens). But I bought my Ikelite Housing and dome port from Reef Photo. I called on several occasions and had lots of questions both before and after the sale. Their customer service is great.

I have an A-80 and a SD550 both with underwater housings...I say yes, weight the camera, but I wouldn't purchase the Canon weights. On my 3rd dive with the weights they fell off as I entered the water, this was a current dive so they went to the bottom and I moved to far away to retrieve them. Throughout the 2 previous dives I was constantly tightening the weights "screw", it came loose on a number of occations. I knew by the end of the trip I would have to go without or replace the weights, them falling off took care of me needing to worry about it.

As for cheapest place to purchase, I would do a google search and see all the locations that offer it and what the prices are. I may have misunderstood some of the replies, but it looked as though some were stating that model number as WP-DC800; I just did a search and the model comes up as WP-DC30 (which is what I have for my A80); I believe the cheapest I found is $157, this was at a 5 star reseller.

I've bought from Amazon and B&H, and had good experiences at both. But go ahead and try the usual price-comparison engines (froogle, shopping.com, etc) to make sure.

As for weights, I'd try it without first and see if it bothers you to have the camera little floaty. If it does, get the weights, or make your own with a tripod screw and some metal. If it doesn't, save some money. :)

Back
Top Bottom