Best way to remove glue residue from tanks..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What's the best (safest) way to remove glue residue from aluminium tanks..?

I have aluminium 80s and 40s with residues left over from old MOD decal, analysis tape, duct tape, etc.

Scraping or using solvent (generally) seems like a rather bad idea...

down here we have a goo-gone remover made out of a orange (as in the fruit) based substance and it takes all the glue sticky stuff off

de-solv-int or something like that

i use it all the time when putting the tanks in for hydro and new stickers (we have alot of tanks)

down here we have a goo-gone remover made out of a orange (as in the fruit) based substance and it takes all the glue sticky stuff off

Cool! Thank you - I can even get the Goo Gone stuff from Amazon :)

i was about to suggest just nipping off to the local wollies, coles or bunnings to buy it but i see you are in Siam and im clueless to where that is (unless its siam as in the king and i)

off to google

edit: ahhhhhh Thailand!

but i see you are in Siam and im clueless to where that is (unless its siam as in the king and i)

It is indeed the Siam of "The King and I" fame (rather unfortunately)...

Commonly referred to as Thailand :)

Goo Gone is the best for removing glue residue from anything. I was going to suggest it on another board, but didn't think you'd have access to it. I guess I was wrong!

For whatever it is worth to you...I use the blue painter's tape to label tank contents rather than the traditional dive store tape. You can get it at nearly any hardware store, leaves no residue and it's cheap. Just use a black sharpie or fine point permanent marker to write on it. Stays on the tank during and after the dive.

Get the 3" wide stuff and a 3x6 piece is easily enough room to put all the necessary information on.

Goof Off is a good solvent and is safe for aluminum. I use it on my plane.

Back
Top Bottom