Best way to remove glue residue from tanks..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down here we have a goo-gone remover made out of a orange (as in the fruit) based substance and it takes all the glue sticky stuff off

de-solv-int or something like that

i use it all the time when putting the tanks in for hydro and new stickers (we have alot of tanks)

As an engineer, but not a manufacture's representative, I would reccomend Goo-Be-Gone or StickerLifter which are both non-protroleum based adhesive removers.

Why don't you try the source Goo Gone - Goo Gone Home

there could be issues with shipping since it is a combustable fluid.

Since you are refering to the exterior of the cylinders it is acceptable to use any solvent, including WD40 or alcohol which will just evaporate after your done. Just make sure you wash the cylinder with a good detergent soap to remove the solvent before you get near a fill station. Especially near a mix gas fill station!

Good luck.

propane torch burns all residue to ash and it scrapes of very very easily.

No guts no glory:eyebrow:

propane torch burns all residue to ash and it scrapes of very very easily.

No guts no glory:eyebrow:

On the off chance that someone takes you seriously, hopefully they’ll recall that if a cylinder is exposed to high heat, it should be re-hydro’d.

On the off chance that someone takes you seriously, hopefully they’ll recall that if a cylinder is exposed to high heat, it should be re-hydro’d.

That is why I used my small propane torch instead of my oxy/acetylene one. The small propane one doesn't get nearly as hot.:shakehead:

You are right though, probably not the safest way to do it:11:

As long as the tank is not open or you have the regs attached, any hydro-carbon based solvent will work.

I just splash a little lacquer thinner on a rag and in seconds the glue is gone. If the tank is painted it will remove the paint if you are to vigorous or use too much. If the tank has a polyurethane coating then paint thinner will work better.

Allow rags to dry in the sun before storage or disposal.

That is why I used my small propane torch instead of my oxy/acetylene one. The small propane one doesn't get nearly as hot.:shakehead:

You are right though, probably not the safest way to do it:11:

I surely hope you are not doing that to an aluminum tank.

You could (at least in theory) be destroying the heat treatment in a localized area and it may still pass hydro…just like a tank with a crack can pass hydro…at least for a while.

I have melted thin aluminum with a small propane torch.

Last edited:
methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is the best stuff ever for removing any type of residue, and it won't harm the metal. If you do use it be careful to not get it on your hands because it can be absorbed through the skin.

there is this stuff called WD-40 (kinda aerosol) that dissolves almost anything

Allow rags to dry in the sun before storage or disposal.

Definitely - there's a danger the rags may spontaneously combust! When I was still in college, we had specially designed metal buckets for storing solvent soaked rags.

I had some duct tape residue (several years old) that nothing would touch, at least until I found aircraft coating remover (Tal-Strip II at Checker Auto Parts) available at most automotive stores. Very AL friendly.

Roak

Back
Top Bottom