Best way to dive the Flower Gardens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A group of 5 or 6 of us are looking to dive the Flower Gardens this summer. What is the best way go about that? I did some research on the board on saw the Fling came up a lot. Is this the generally preferred charter for diving the Flower Gardens? Does it matter which dive shop we book the trip through?

I'm a little concerned about sea sickness on this trip. I've done a few boat dives, and I've been on a cruise, all without too much trouble, but I've never been a vessel the size of the Fling over the span of days. Any advice there?

yes the Fling is the way to go.... the flower gardens are about 110 miles out....you board in the evening and wake up there.....you will need something to prevent seasickness the gulf can be pretty wild sometimes....one day flat calm the next a bucking horse....Aug and Sept is a good time to go the seas can be glassy in the summer doldrums.....but that is not to say a tropical storm can't rough it up....here are the faq's http://www.flingcharters.com/pdf/faq.pdf .....Toms here in Austin runs trips there..... I don't think it matter what dive shop you book through

Calmest seas are August into Sept barring any tropical storm activity. July is a good compromise with just slightly rougher seas and quite a bit lower chance of tropical activity. I have never been sea sick but I have seen well over half the boat green at the gills. If in doubt, go for the meds before you get on the boat.

As far as booking, I decide what scheduled trip I want to go on and contact one of the listed shops for that trip.

The Fling comes up a lot because they're just about the only charter to regularly make trips to the FG. The Spree makes some trips occasionally, but they spend the vast majority of their time in the Dry Tortugas (last I heard, anyway).

Fish N Divers might go to the FG, but did you take a look at their boats on their webpage? While they seem to be quality craft, the largest is 42 feet and it looked to me that they weren't really rigged out for liveaboard service. I could be wrong, of course.

I can only speak from experience concerning the Fling. The vessel, though its been around quite a while, is a converted crew boat, is reasonably comfortable, and serves well as a dive platform. The crew always did an outstanding job on the trips I've taken, and the three day outing is a GREAT way to get quite a few dives in a fairly short period of time. Loads of fun.

(Okay, mods...ha ha for changing everyone's avatar. Happy April Fools!)

I've dove the FG on the Fling before and it was terrific, in fact, we're planning on going back this summer.

Only "problem" I have is that they don't authorize the use of doubles. Other than that, an awesome charter and one I would heartily recommend.

Fish N Divers might go to the FG, but did you take a look at their boats on their webpage? While they seem to be quality craft, the largest is 42 feet and it looked to me that they weren't really rigged out for liveaboard service. I could be wrong, of course.

Yah I think Fish N Divers are just a day trip affair. More expensive
than the Fling as well. I think I paid $550 (including nitrox) for
the Spree for August 2011 (7-8 tanks) and FND is $400-$500 but
for just one day and two tanks. (Presumably because you spend
most of the day traveling 60-100 miles there and back and
burning lots of gas in the process.)

Last edited:
If you want to book a Spree trip I know Island Divers Galveston has a few trips with them. I don't know if that is on the Spree's web page 'cause I'm too lazy to check.

For Fling trips, check the website and see what shop has the weekend you want to go and get in touch with them. I know in the past they have opened up trips to any shop, but I think that is if they are just having a hard time filling the boat.

Chris

I have been out there on the Spree, as mentioned above Frank and his crew are top notch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom