CHUMming the Flower Gardens - June 3rd to 5th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sushi Boy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
CHUM is headed back to the Flower Gardens. Come join us the first weekend in June for the very best diving that Texas has to offer. As an added bonus, the Fling (which is now under new ownership, operating as Texas Caribbean Charters) has announced that there will be no more fuel surcharges during '22. Get more details at this thread.

the Fling (which is now under new ownership, operating as Texas Caribbean Charters)
Not a trip I'm in a position to make, but interesting news. Couple of questions...

1.) Is the boat still called the Fling?

2.) Any word whether there are likely to be any changes from a customer perspective? Are they likely to mostly keep to 2 or 3 day trips?

Richard.

I’m not an insider but my understanding is the boat will continue to be the Fling.

I would expect for them to keep running similar trips but that’s pure speculation. Hopefully the new owner bring some fresh perspectives to the company. They’re an important part of the community and I want to see them be around for a long time.

As crew I hear more scuttlebutt but can't present it as final decisions. The trips will remain mostly 2 or 3 days trips. The Coral Spawn has always been a 4 day trip and I think the NOAA Lionfish trips have been. The issue is that the boat is very spartan and just not well suited for longer trips. It's not a LOB where you have your own roomy cabin with private head and shower. You can put up with inconveniences for a few days a lot easier than for a week.

They are looking to do different types of specialty trips. This year they are doing a few blackwater trips, some oil rigs only (including cutoffs) trips, their own non-NOAA lionfish trips, women divers only trip, etc.

The early talk is next year they will not schedule Feb at all and just a few March or April trips because they jsut get blown out but will start running daily trips May through September and do weekends in November.

CHUM is headed back to the Flower Gardens. Come join us the first weekend in June for the very best diving that Texas has to offer. As an added bonus, the Fling (which is now under new ownership, operating as Texas Caribbean Charters) has announced that there will be no more fuel surcharges during '22. Get more details at this thread.
So, you all went and came back. I'm coming from China and trying to think of the least expensive place I can fly to and dive. Right now, it's looking like it's cheaper to fly to Miami and just hit Key Largo. But I've got a buddy there in Galveston who has a sail boat I want to ride on.

Weather was looking so good that Dennis called it a GO early in the week and he didn't have to walk it back. There were 7 official CHUM members on our roster plus myself as crew. With typical two hour surface intervals, I spent an hour after each dive filling tanks and the other hour napping so I didn't get to socialize as much as I wanted to but everyone on the boat seemed to have a great time. Nobody got hurt and I don't think anybody lost any expensive gear. One thing we've been doing new this year is starting Saturday an hour later, with 7am wakeup and 8am first dive. I think everyone enjoys that. Unfortunately, time back to dock and turnaround trips make that not feasible for the day to return.

We followed the usual weekend schedule with 2 Saturday morning dives on West Bank #1, a noonish platform dive on HI-376B, 2 afternoon/night dives on East Bank #4, then 2 Sunday morning dives on Stetson #1 and #3. Moving buoys on Sunday morning was an unusual special treat, thanks to the DMs installing a brand new mooring ball between the dives.

At FG, viz was excellent and currents mild to moderate, with water temps about 79 degrees.. There were tons of fish and we did see some small mantas and a few sharks but not as much big stuff as I had been seeing on earlier trips. This was my 5th trip this year. West Bank featured so many triggerfishes it was like an infestation. Large schools of crevalle jack were present. The platform dive was on the smaller platform due to a supply vessel on HI-376A but fish life was dense. A moderate current meant you had to steadily fin to hold position or hide behind the columns and crossbars. The bars are completely covered with brown chromis and other small fishes. At West Bank we saw the big resident loggerhead. I skipped the night dive but I heard the divers saw her on that one, too.

At Stetson, viz was murky on top but decent below, water temps 76-78 degrees, and current was mostly mild on bottom except for coming over the ridges from the wall but if you knew where to go you could get completely out of it. Stingrays were everywhere and I often saw 4 or 5 at a time cruising around back and forth.

Thank you Reefhound for the report, what a great weekend to spend on & in the water. look forward to meeting you in a few weeks.

Found an amazing 2 Hr vid on Adam Hems YT from June 2022.
It’s like Diving AMSR with just the sounds of the sea & bubbles.
Great videos in 4k & had lots of Ocean Trigger Fish, Barracudas, Spotlight Parrotfish & more.
Love love the tiny sponges on the platform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom