Best way to carry dive gear on Catalina Express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right click the red x and select "Show Picture" ....... here you go ... looks like a couple of Stanley boxes
( I like the soft mounting of the tanks, one of the things I like about the box is that I can put my tank/bc on top when donning & doffing gear)

DSC00003%20(Small).JPG

Thanks everyone. Looks like the Stanley tool boxes are the way to go. I went to Target today and bought it. I bought the smaller one and it just fits my all my gear minus my snorkle. That is okay since I can easily put that in my backpack.

A couple of follow up questions. Do you carry your weights in the box? And can I put locks on it or do they do a search like at the airport so I should just use plastic ties?

Thanks again for the advice people!

Locks are ok, but no weights in box though (they'll ask and besides, you want to be nice to those guys at the ferry that are lifting those boxes/bags all day long) .. weights go in my backpack .. you need only carry enough to make up your required weight when using the rentable 5lb weights (bring some 1 or 2 or 3 or 4lbs weights)

This is what I, and a lot of others use ... 29" Stanley Rolling Tool Chest, #029026R ... Stanley Hand Tools :* 029025R *-*

It fits in the Catalina Express hold, It's water tight, holds all/most of my dive gear, fins, regs, wetsuit, boots, gloves, BC , small mat to change on, towels .. and I've even strapped tanks on it with a ratchet tiedown (tanks can't be on it when in ferry)

.. small weights and clothes go in back pack .. you can rent a weight belt at the dive park but you usually can't find weights in less than 5lb increments ... you cold take with you just the ones needed to make your exact weight

Hi D B,

If you put a piece of angled aluminum on top above the wheels the tanks won't slide off.

John

Angle alum ... That's an idea

what I do now is throw a rubber door mat on the top of the box and it keeps the tank from slipping (says in the pic comment) the mat also becomes a place to change on .. you have to use a ratchet type tie down to get it tight enough , if try this with one of those quick sliding ones, I'll guarantee it will slip
... one of these days I'll get some cam bands and do it right, but this is what I have and was cheaper to boot

Back
Top Bottom