Best way to carry 54lbs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6’3” 275lbs diving a single AL 80
I'm 6'5" tall and, up until recently, weighed 295#. Using an ill fitting trilam suit and 450g undergarments, it took 18# plus a steel BP to get me down. Somerhing isnt right.

so just a bit of an update.

was able to get out last weekend for another set of dives.....i had switched to my Viking drysuit (which was getting seals replaced on my last dive).....and was able to shed 6 lbs

so 48lbs using my current setup with AL80s.......i feel more weight can be shed...and im sure the more comfortable i get more weight will come off.

on my first dives when i made my initial post, i didnt feel overweighted......but in the Viking i sunk like a stone.......i doubt there is that much of a buoyancy difference between the 2 suits, so maybe i had an air pocket trapped??

either way the DUI weight harness is amazing, it carried the weight very well and really didnt notice it/

AGIR make a plate that's almost 6kg, I own one, I also use the Halcyon weighted STA with it which is just shy of an additional 3kgs. I know you need more but it's a start.

so just a bit of an update.

was able to get out last weekend for another set of dives.....i had switched to my Viking drysuit (which was getting seals replaced on my last dive).....and was able to shed 6 lbs

so 48lbs using my current setup with AL80s.......i feel more weight can be shed...and im sure the more comfortable i get more weight will come off.

on my first dives when i made my initial post, i didnt feel overweighted......but in the Viking i sunk like a stone.......i doubt there is that much of a buoyancy difference between the 2 suits, so maybe i had an air pocket trapped??

either way the DUI weight harness is amazing, it carried the weight very well and really didnt notice it/

Hey M

I am 6'3 250 for reference. I have about 3 dozen or so dives on an Aqualung Fusion drysuit. I use a Biolite bcd (bought it for traveling and haven't made the switch to BP/W yet). Using a Faber HP100 steel tank made a world of difference. I carried 14lbs in my bcd pockets, 2 lbs in each back pocket for trim so 18lbs total, and the tank weight was more than enough to drop me. Buoyancy control was actually a lot better and I will be the first to admit I am no pro at it yet. I also switched to Hollis F1 fins to help with that "floating feet" issue in a drysuit. Those are much heavier fins and help with control.

Something seems off if you need that much weight to get you down. I honestly feel like with a steel backplate set up, I may be able to drop even more of the weight I am carrying. I can't imagine doing double hp100s yet, but that should also help reduce the amount you have to carry.

I'm 6'5" tall and, up until recently, weighed 295#. Using an ill fitting trilam suit and 450g undergarments, it took 18# plus a steel BP to get me down. Somerhing isnt right.

Agreed....I'm 6'4" and about 350lbs. In a 7mil with an al80 I only need 24lbs.

Those xs scuba shot bags are absolutely worthless. Once you get more than about 2 lbs in, it bulges out and doesn't bolt in nicely at all.

I have 4# in mine (2# on each side, front and back) and it's fine. I could put more shot in it if my BP had a shallower bend to it.

6’3” 275lbs diving a single AL 80

I'm 6'1" and 245.

In a drysuit with a single steel 100 and a ScubaPro Hydros Pro (so, all together, roughly equal to an AL80 and a steel BP), I use 18# of lead.

I had Fourth Element Arctic undies. When I wore those versus just a thin base layer (i.e. in cold water versus cool water), I only added about 4# of lead.

I agree with the other posts that it sounds like you are way over weighted compared to what you SHOULD need. And also that your weight in a drysuit should be about the same as your weight in a 7mm wetsuit.

Good luck getting it all dialed in and shedding more of that lead. :)

so i actually got in a pool today to test out a new wing...i ended up at 36lbs.......which is only 6 lbs more than i use for my 7mm wet suit.

that was fresh water.....so salt water i usually at 6-8 lbs.......so ive been able to shed a good bit of weight.

im assuming its a combination of getting more comfortable with the suit, and getting better at purging trapped air....but it feels SOOOO much better not having to lug that weight around

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom