Best way to carry 54lbs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M-Cameron

Contributor
Reaction score
so heres the deal...im whats commonly referred to as a "big ol boy"....in my 7mm wetsuit i need 30 lbs...

but when i started drysuit diving....i ended up needing 54 lbs to get me neutral...

now my BC(SS bpw) will hold 30 lbs....and on a weight belt, i can really only comfortably hold 8 lbs or so

i was wondering what the common consensus was to hold a lot of weight comfortably?

boat anchor?
50lbs of gold necklaces like Mr T?

im thinking a weight harness to hold most of the weight, then the remainder in the BC pockets?

You may consider an extra heavy stainless steel backplate. Secure, comfortable and functional weight! I have read about backplates weighing over ten pounds here on SB, so a good start. Best of luck.

You can attach more lead directly to the plate, even higher up. Zip ties and gorilla tape are your friend. You might need to for trim if you are strapping massive weight on low. In a wetsuit you can put a little weight in thigh or upper arm pouches to distribute it. Not sure how well that might work with a dry suit. Plus shoulder strap trim pockets. But a harness is the way to go to split a chunk off the BC.

There has also been extensive discussions about center channel weights for your backplate here on SB.

6E5A6E5E-1B6B-45A8-9463-38992469D2B9.jpeg

SS plate, find a used Deep Sea Supply with weight plates would be even better
Get a STA with a lead weight in it
Weight belt with whatever is comfortable
DUI weight n trim.

Part of the issue you're going to have is what can be attached to the plate itself since you still need the rig to float itself, so you can realistically get about 20lbs of ballast on the rig, and the rest will have to go on your body.

There has also been extensive discussions about center channel weights for your backplate here on SB.

View attachment 565423
Those xs scuba shot bags are absolutely worthless. Once you get more than about 2 lbs in, it bulges out and doesn't bolt in nicely at all.

so heres the deal...im whats commonly referred to as a "big ol boy"....in my 7mm wetsuit i need 30 lbs...

but when i started drysuit diving....i ended up needing 54 lbs to get me neutral...

now my BC(SS bpw) will hold 30 lbs....and on a weight belt, i can really only comfortably hold 8 lbs or so

i was wondering what the common consensus was to hold a lot of weight comfortably?

boat anchor?
50lbs of gold necklaces like Mr T?

im thinking a weight harness to hold most of the weight, then the remainder in the BC pockets?

M...

Assuming you're new to dry suit diving my guess is ''trapped air'' in your dry suit that's keeping you positively buoyant...

I'm always of the opinion that a ''properly fitting'' dry suit system should be no more buoyant than a 7 mm wet suit...

If your suit...when donned...is full of wrinkles and creases...air is being trapped...and if it is unable to be completely evacuated either on boat...or on the surface of the water prior to descent...you're going to have problems...and proper correction...does not mean additional ballast...

If you're having to dive with 54 pounds of ballast...you may as well be diving with double HP 133's...

Your dry-suit should fit like the suit in the attached photo...no wrinkles/creases/over-bulk...and no trapped air...

Practice neutral buoyancy in the shallows or pool with help...start with the smallest ballast pieces first...but first evacuate all the air from your suit...if you're in the shallows or pool with just your dry suit system on and no other kit...and your bobbing like a cork...you have air trapped in your suit...

Best of Luck...

W.M...

DUI 222.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom