Best type of fins for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not convinced either.

But I do know that both my wife and I prefer my homemade split Blades over the originals and we have a stock of unmodified Blades that we chose not to revert to. She was quite pissed when I split her fins but it only took one try for her to thank me. I also have a pair of old Scubapro jets that I try again a couple times a year but always end up back with my modified blades.

Nothing scientific. Just personal quantitative (zero cramping problems) and qualitative personal experiences.

Don't know if it is available online. It has been referenced in a couple of diving compilations, including Bennett's Physiolgy and Medicine of Diving

With respect to your comment about split fins, I personally find the evidence in favor of using split fins unconvincing. I think preference for them is driven by divers who like the decreased resistance to kicking despite decreased performance (like pedaling your bike on flat ground in low gear). I can see split fins being useful for poorly conditioned/injured divers who could have trouble kicking a stiffer paddle fin comfortably. I am not convinced there is any true benefit to conditioned divers using split fins.

With respect to your comment about split fins, I personally find the evidence in favor of using split fins unconvincing. I think preference for them is driven by divers who like the decreased resistance to kicking despite decreased performance (like pedaling your bike on flat ground in low gear). I can see split fins being useful for poorly conditioned/injured divers who could have trouble kicking a stiffer paddle fin comfortably. I am not convinced there is any true benefit to conditioned divers using split fins.

So well put! A sufficiently conditioned diver need only moderate movement to propel then glide with paddle or blade fins. I see a lot of split fin users on local charters who are constantly in motion thus expending needless energy and gas in order to propel themselves underwater. Find yourself in need of swimming against current especially on the surface and the use of split fins approach an unsafe situation IMO...

I have also noticed the constantly kicking split fin users. They kick like they are going a mile a minute without really going that fast. Kind of "spinning their wheels".

I have also noticed the constantly kicking split fin users. They kick like they are going a mile a minute without really going that fast. Kind of "spinning their wheels".

I suspect the dominant independent variable in this observation is diver experience rather than fin type. After all, shops push those expensive split fins for the higher associated profits and that "expert advice" tends to carry some weight with new divers.

A comment from a retailer who sells mutliple brands of fins; Larry@ Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online

"Do split fins work in a strong current??
Excuse Me! Would you please get your mouse off of me... That itches!Larry: I've heard this one a lot. And seen it on multiple new boards, that someone will post up a comment saying split fins are fine for still water, but useless in a current. Guess what... THEY ARE WRONG!!!

Ever since they came out, the first split fins, the Bio Fins from Apollo have been examined, laughed at, tested, and re-tested... And test after test shows that they are the most efficient and fastest fin on the market. From universities, Scuba Magazines, independent divers, everyone who tests them will agree that they are the fastest fin... and if you are traveling the same speed as any other fin - you will use less air... much less. Up to 30% air savings, and 20% better speeds.

Those who refuse to accept the hands down winner in all speed and efficiency tests ofter blurt out, "Yea, but they don't work in a current!" I would like to point out that this is just plain stupid. Some old dude... Einstein?? said something about speed is relative... Let's suppose you have an airplane that can fly 100 miles an hour. If you are flying into a 20mph head wind, your ground speed will only be 80. If you have a 20mph tail wind, your ground speed will be 120. Same thing with the fins.

Current is nothing more than having the water moving either with or against you at a certain rate... and if you can swim the Biofin at 3 knots of speed in still water, and some paddle fin is only 2 knots... well guess what - if you have a 1 knot current pushing against you, the bio fin will get you moving at 3 - 1, or 2 knots, while the other will only give you 2 - 1, or 1 knot of speed.

Doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure this one. And really, swimming into a current, the Biofin probably is even better as it allows you to do a smaller, "swimmers kick" which makes you more streamline against the on coming water.

I was talking to one guy the other day who went into some current with them, and this is the actual conversation: "Yea but I tried them in Cozumel, and when I went against the current, they didn't work too good... it was hard to swim against it. I was wishing I had my stiff paddle fins instead." I then pointed out the relative motion concept, and asked, was there any chance, it was just a stiffer current than you were used to? To which he did add, "Oh yea... it was a ripping current, my buddies couldn't even keep up with me." "Duh!? Your buddies were wearing paddle fins - not splits!!".. "Oh.... Yea..."

So yes, even in a current, the splits are the best fins for speed and efficiency and lack of cramps and strain. As far as the best split fins.... Kind of a toss up for me. I've tried some bad ones - too hard, bad fitting foot pockets, so either Bio Fins, or the Tusa Zoom Fins will work for me. (But around my students I wear the Tusa Zoom Fins because I can get them in Yellow so they see me easier in murkey lakes.)"

Last edited:
mdb, your statement that "everyone who tests them will agree that they are the fastest fin.." is inherently untrue, seeing as I have given an exapmple of a paper where split fins were found NOT to be fastest. I am a disinterested poster, and have nothing to gain by denegrating a split fin design, whereas you, as a representative for a manufacturer of split fins have a great deal to lose by divers thinking that split fin "technology" is so much malarky. My personal experiences with split fins (including Apollo) have left me duly unimpressed. Opinions vary, and if there were one "best" fin design for all divers, there would only be one type of fin out there to purchace. I agree with your assesment of current having no impact on the efficiency of the fin design. I would think that you would welcome the notion that your product could be sought out by pooly conditioned divers, because most divers ARE poorly conditioned.

I am grateful for all the responses. Many excellent points to consider. The analogies are especially thought provoking.

I have, I think, come to understand one aspect of my finning technique that is probebly flawed. I mention that I kick from the hip. I am 6'-3" and weigh only 185#. I don't flex my knees due to useless ACL's in both. (A lot of cartilage has been removed too). My long strokes coupled with my soft, short, split Scubapro Twin Jets probebly add up to a lot of waste. I have noticed decent propulsion kicking with my ankles only. This kick cannot be maintained though. Looking back, I selected the Twin Jets because of my bad knees.

I think the knee issue also rules out the frog kick. I was never very good at it. I seem to lack the coordination for it. I'm stuck with a strait stiff flutter kick. I'll work with that.

I think you may be kidding yourself if you really believe the solution to your problem is finding the "right" fins.

I am only looking for an edge.

I'm going to the quarry on Monday if I can find a 7mm to borrow. I have already today borrowed some Twin Jet Max, Seawings, and some older Mares Quattros. Let the experiment begin!

diverdoug:

I did not make any statement, I am simply quoting a good, well respected, retailer who sells many brands and models and has all the models available for test in his store.

I've edited the post to show Larry's comments in quotes.

I am grateful for all the responses. Many excellent points to consider. The analogies are especially thought provoking.

I have, I think, come to understand one aspect of my finning technique that is probebly flawed. I mention that I kick from the hip. I am 6'-3" and weigh only 185#. I don't flex my knees due to useless ACL's in both. (A lot of cartilage has been removed too). My long strokes coupled with my soft, short, split Scubapro Twin Jets probebly add up to a lot of waste. I have noticed decent propulsion kicking with my ankles only. This kick cannot be maintained though. Looking back, I selected the Twin Jets because of my bad knees.

I think the knee issue also rules out the frog kick. I was never very good at it. I seem to lack the coordination for it. I'm stuck with a strait stiff flutter kick. I'll work with that.

I am only looking for an edge.

I'm going to the quarry on Monday if I can find a 7mm to borrow. I have already today borrowed some Twin Jet Max, Seawings, and some older Mares Quattros. Let the experiment begin!

All of the fins you mention are pretty stiff "power" fins. If none of them prove acceptable, you may be one of the divers who would like a less rigid fin (especiallly if early fatigue is the problem). If fatigue is not an issue, and those other stiff fins you are trying don't fit the bill, you might consider a stiff free diving fin (Your height and kick mechanics would work well with them, but most are full foot). In warm water, I like to use a good fitting full foot fin because booties are vile and are two more gear items to keep up with.

diverdoug:

I did not make any statement, I am simply quoting a good, well respected, retailer who sells many brands and models and has all the models available for test in his store.

I've edited the post to show Larry's comments in quotes.

My apollogies (punny), I should have said that the statement you quoted is inherently untrue:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom