Best type of fins for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll preface my opinion with, I use Jet fins and haven't really like any of the split fins I've used.
That being said, if you weren't using a frog kick often or you didn't want a heavy fin then I would suggest a Mares Avanti Quattro paddle fin.
Any of the fins like the Quattro that have a flexible rubber insert molded into the fin would work well. My wife uses some Poseidon Forza fins that are construsted the same way. They feel the same as the Quattros.
These fins work well for flutter and frog kicks, and are much lighter than the Jet fin.
Another fin I've used and really like is the Dive Rite fin, the new ones are made of a different, improved material over the old version of that fin. The Dive Rite fin was a little better for back kicking than the Mares, but other than that they are comparable.
I've tried split fins. The ones I've used are Scuba Pro twin Jet, these were too floppy to be of much good in terms of thrust.
They improved it slightly with the Twin Jet max. This is a stiffer version with a hard plastic insert, they are better than the Twin Jet, but I didn't get a great sense of feel out of the Twin Jet max, compared to the paddle fins I've used.
I've also used on a few occasions the Atomic split fin. This fin got a lot of hype from split fin fans, but I felt it was weak in terms of feel and thrust compared to other fins. My personal opinion is that the split fins I used were not very good at all in terms of generating a low gear type of thrust that I like. They were not as good at back kicking either.
I've also used an apollo bio fin. Among the split fins I mentioned, this one was probably the best feeling. Probably due to the stiffer rubber that it's made of.
The Twin jet max is better than the twin jet and the apollo, probably due to it being stiffer than the twin jet, and wider and stiffer than the apollo.
I've also used some Force fins on 6 different dives. The person offered to sell then to me for $75. I declined.
They were pretty good for flutter kicks, not really blowing away any other fin at flutter kicking with dive gear on. They were different feeling than everything else I've ever used, but for diving they didn't really put the hook in me.
I never used them for swimming laps in a pool or anything, but based of how the felt to me I'll bet they would outshine many other fins in this application.
If it were just a streamlined swimmer doing laps, they would be pretty smooth.
They sort of force you into a different and smoother type of fin kick. They didn't appeal to me as a dive fin however.

In fairness, it's hard for me to recommend the old school Jet fin. They're heavy and many people just don't like them.
I'd recommend the Dive Rite paddle fin or the Mares Quattro paddle fin.

Among the split fins I've tried, if someone is just dead set on splits then I'd recommend the Apollo Bio fin.

Mitch

Effectively finning in a strong current is something anyone can struggle with. Wearing powerful fins certainly can't hurt. For open-heel; few fins can match the power, speed, and ease of the APOLLO BIO-FIN PRO XT C-Series, but the price of admission is high. If you can't cut through the current with these on your feet, then (short of using a scooter) you will probably never be able to completely rid yourself of that struggling feeling.

Last edited:
But why are you swimming into current? :)

It happens from time to time. A normal current for most can be difficult for me. That's why I am looking for an edge. An all purpose fin that many divers believe propels them faster and or easier.

I love muck. My soft twin Jets are fantastic for maneuvering with my head in the sand. But for me, I don't get much bang for the buck (effort) when I need to move.

I'm looking at the Galapagos right now, current will be an issue.

This thread is very helpful to me. I'm looking into everyones choice. Any of you who have tried two or more different pairs of fins know which works best for you in a current situation. This is real life comparison, not Scuba doo magazine, kiss the advertisers a$$ comps.

Are you now, or have you ever been a bicyclist? Having used both a stiff Beauchat fin and a split Atomic, and done well on both, I think the difference between preference is very akin to the bicycling difference between "mashers" and "spinners".

"Masher" cyclists tend to go for higher gear ratios and mash harder on the pedals. This is akin to those who prefer stiff fins.

"Spinner" cyclists prefer to use lower gears, but twirl the pedals faster. This is akin to those who prefer softer or split fins.

Both mashers and spinners do well on bikes, and both can get up to speed; it's mostly a matter of preference, and what's most comfortable for you and your muscles. Same goes for fins.

Now of course a cheap, crappy bike is no good for either style bicyclist, just like cheap, crappy fins are no good for either style diver.

Personally, I'm a spinner on a bike, and similarly I prefer my Atomic splits, but I know plenty of other people who pedal and dive the other way. Ain't choice grand?

Mares Quattros are very popular with divers of all descriptions. I have seen some of the best divers in the world utilize...

Some really lousy divers use them as well. I know that I do. They are relatively easy on the ankles.

My personal favorites, and not yet mentioned, are the "love-em or hate-em" (but pricey) Force Fins. I'd consider the originals, the pros, or the tan deltas. Some of the others look gimmicky to me.

Dealing with current depends on experience as well as equipment. The first few encounters in heavy current can seem frightening and arduous but once you get some practice in finning under heavy conditions, you'll be a lot more confident and discover things like positioning and finning techniques that work.

But since your question relates specifically to fins:

I have tried different paddle fins (I don't use splits, just don't like them) and while the lighter more flexible fins work fine for me on low-current dives, I like the more solid and heavier fins for current.

I really like my Cressi Frog fins and was glad I took them with me to the Red Sea several years ago. Some people complain about them - saying they're too heavy and hard on the ankles. But I'm not particularly large (at 50kg) and am not exceptionally powerful. I think it all comes down to preferance and finding the right combination of technique and and equipment to suit you.

I seem to burn out faster swimming into current if I use a flutter kick. But if I'm using a good, strong, wide, power-frog kick, I can push and glide, push and glide, and I seem to do better into current. I mention this, not to bring up a kicking debate, but to say that I find the Turtle Fin to be my favorite fin for frog kicking. Maybe it's 'cause I'm so used to them ( several hundred dives on them almost exclusively), and my muscles and technique have developed for them, so that when I've tried Jet fins or Quattro's I don't seem to get the thrust. All this to say, think if you use the right fin for your style of kicking, and stick with it, you will develop the muscles and the muscle memory to use it effectively. Then you'll tell everyone that the fin you use is the best. :eyebrow:

Oh, and I try to swim WITH the current mostly these days when I can, or use my scooter. :D

Use a frog kick and push and glide into a current? Not my preferance.

I would recommend getting a decent pair of fins, and then spend some time on a bike and in the pool training muscles to do the work. If you are going to be diving in currents, the key is to avoid fighting it, hide from it, ride with it, swim across it, clinging to the bottom by one finger is far easier than swimming into a current to hold position. Even an athlete is going to use a lot of air swimming into a current. It is good to have the power to muscle your way out of a situation, but the best way to deal with currents is to fineses them and not fight them unless you absolutely must do it.

You need to find fins that match your strength and endurance. Are you a 90 lb women or a 250 lb former linebacker? I always find it funny that people think they can recommend the fin that they use for someone else who may have vastly different abilities.

I know the Avantis are very good fins, the jet fins are good, but you will get the most benefit by getting decent fins and then swimming in the pool 3 nights a week for 1500 yards or so.

Back
Top Bottom