Best type of fins for current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diggerled

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Seeking opinions on which type fins are better for swimming into strong current. EDIT: with open heeled fins

I own only Scubapro Twin Jets. They are all I have ever used. I struggle in current.

I'm looking for an edge so I can keep up with the overweight smokers towing big cameras wearing the same fins I use now.

I typically kick by the book. SSI Open Water Training Manual. (yes, I kept it for reference) From the hips, knees slightly bent and ankles relaxed.

Last edited:
This question is begging to start a fight between all sorts of people. An answer (not necessarily the right one) is a simple non-split fin... something like a Scubapro Jet, streamlined rig and proper finning technique.

Although not as flexible, full foot fins I find to be some of the fastest I use.

Stiffer fins tend to work better in current ... but if you're used to splits, be prepared for them to feel like someone just tied a coupla logs to your feet till you get used to them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Although not as flexible, full foot fins I find to be some of the fastest I use.

Please, no arguing. Informed opinions are welcome.

I need to stay away from full foot fins. They do not fit my extra wide feet and are too cold. I agree that they should provide better propultion due to their very light weight if nothing else.

I'll edit post to read open heel fins only.

Mares Quattros are very popular with divers of all descriptions. I have seen some of the best divers in the world utilize...

Mares Quattros are very popular with divers of all descriptions. I have seen some of the best divers in the world utilize...

Yup, just need legs made from tungsten :depressed:

The only thing I'm sure about fins and current now is that soft doesn't cut it. If you want to use your muscles and can't because the fin just flaps around and doesn't provide a good surface you can push from, find a stiffer fin.

I enjoy using my Aqulung slingshots, because they can act like a stiff blade in current by adjusting the band, or on a drift dive, set them looser to keep from fatiguing my legs

Whatever fin best allows you to swim energetically for a sustained period.

Do a thought experiment: Imagine you are in equilibrium in a large body of water. With your eyes closed, can you determine which way the current is moving, or even if there is one? Hopefully your answer is "no". Barring local turbulence, you are part of that body of water, moving with it. If this is hard to understand, it is similar to riding on a plane or train. While you are cruising, it feels as if you are sitting still (except for vibration). It's no more work to walk forward than toward the rear.

So why not try several fins in your local pool and see which works best for you in still water? Physics suggests they will also be the ones that work best for you in current.

A paddle fin will produce more thrust per kick than a split fin, but thrust per kick isn’t the same as overall thrust or speed. The following is a quote from the Pendergast study, which was conducted through the Physiology and Biophysics Dept at the University of Buffalo:

“The notion that rigid fins develop more thrust and speed was not supported by this study. The maximal velocity and thrust were developed by both rigid (Attack) and flexible (Apollo) fins, with the limitation of the rigid fins being the ability of the diver to generate a high frequency kick and the limitation of the flexible fins being the diver’s maximal leg kick frequency.”

If you struggle in a current with splits, increase your kick frequency or try paddle fins. I second the vote for the Mares Quattros.

Unless you know the speed of the current, it is hard to know if you can fix the problem. It doesn’t take much of a current before you will struggle no matter what type of fin you have.

I was very impressed with the ability of the ScubaPro SeaWing Novas to generate force. If you primarily use a full leg kick, I think you'd find them good fins for swimming into current. They are NOT suitable for overhead environments or anywhere else where you encounter line, because they are line traps.

But why are you swimming into current? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom