Best time to go to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyKSue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm starting to try to plan a trip for next year and Belize was mentioned as a possible place to go - What is the best time of year to dive Belize?
A number of years ago I went to Caye Caulker and was very disappointed. Any suggestions of places to go?

I enjoy Belize as a vacation destination that has diving as opposed to a diving destination. This approach may alter your expectations.

I would suggest not going in May. Many farmers in Guatemala burn off their fields during that month and the smoke can carry across most of Belize.

What was disappointing to you about CC?

_R

What are you looking for in accommodations? How important is the diving quality and what are your expectations there? Length of boat rides? Only land based or is liveaboard an option? What else might you want to do? Approx budget?

My usual Belize suggestion is to do a week on one of the liveaboards for the diving, then spend some additional days on land depending what else you want to do. You might also consider one of the atoll resorts, but I've not personally done any yet. (I will probably try Turneffe sometime.) Belize is a relatively big place and it's hard to conveniently combine the best diving and land options from one location.

What was disappointing to you about CC?

_R
The boat rides to the dives sites were approx. 45 min. and we were crammed into the boat like sardines. No shade and no tanks holders. all the tanks were just piled into the middle of the boat. Then ....there was little to no fish life to see except maybe a few lobsters!
I have friends who dove there but stayed in San Pedro... they saw sharks, whale sharks, and what all else I can't remember but just thinking maybe I stayed in the wrong area.
Not really interested in a liveaboard -

Ambergris Cay and dive with Amigo Del Mar....dive sites are 5-10 minute boat rides and the town has some good eats and drinks! We went in late August and enjoyed it immensely.....we need to return soon.

Last edited:
My first trip to Belize was about 25 years ago. I stayed at Ambergris and was very disappointed in the diving. Ten years ago, I returned and stayed at Turneffe Island Resort for the next three years. Then we discovered Huracan Diving... and have been returning very year since. Fantastic diving minutes away...

There are trip reports here for both places as they are very different experiences and fit different budgets...

As for when, we generally go in March... occasionally some wind, but generally it's pretty nice.

I was thinking January, February, or March !
Where can I see your trip reports Stoo?

I was thinking January, February, or March !
Where can I see your trip reports Stoo?

Just search for "Huracan Diving" and "Turneffe Island Resort" and my name... there are several. I'd link them but I'm just heading out... Feel free to PM me (or post here) if you have any specific questions...

I should add that a few of us have Huracan booked again for this March... and we're looking for one single female traveller to room with another... Just sayin'... ;-)

Well, boat ride lengths are what they are, can't change that.

The boat however ....

BDS has 2 48ft Newton Dive Specials .... places to sit out of the sun, tank racks and great staff.

Head north to SP if you want some nurse sharks (most ops fed them back a few years ago). Some Caribbean Reef sharks seemed to have moved in after the last hurricane

_R

The boat rides to the dives sites were approx. 45 min. and we were crammed into the boat like sardines. No shade and no tanks holders. all the tanks were just piled into the middle of the boat. Then ....there was little to no fish life to see except maybe a few lobsters!
I have friends who dove there but stayed in San Pedro... they saw sharks, whale sharks, and what all else I can't remember but just thinking maybe I stayed in the wrong area.
Not really interested in a liveaboard -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom