Best technique/method/penetrating oil for unscrewing 2nd stage from LP hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
I just received a 'classic' Oceanic Omega II 2nd stage, which looks fine, but I'm having issues unscrewing the LP hose from the 2nd stage...I mean it's on their TIGHT ! (the hose is old and I'm swapping it out for a new, longer 'octo' hose, but cannot seem to get it unscrewed). Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

From looking at some images, if you remove the 'retaining cap' that screws onto the plastic body (near the LP hose) then the purge mechanism will come out. There is a flange that areas to have two flat sides that could take a large spanner/shifter then a smaller spanner on the hose and try to undo... With the purge (metal) parts removed from the plastic body some mild heat may help :/

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 05:02 PM ----------

Here is the service manual. The procedure is to remove the mechanism and then use two spanners.

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/oceanic/12-2221-r02%20OMEGA2.pdf

Use a bigger hammer :D

Coke? The drink stuff not the snort stuff. I've used before with seized nuts and bolts with success.

Another method is alternating using heat and cold to break the tension. I would recommend disassembling the regulator so you only have the two stuck parts and alternate soaking in hot and cold water.

two wrenches, one on each side of the connection. Put one in a vice, and hit the other side with a dead blow hammer. Gives a similar effect to hitting it with the palm of your hand where you won't cause crazy vibrations but it has enough initial impact to try to shock something loose.

As you plan to replace the hose you could carefully cut the retaining nut, some damage to the threads will no impact on the sealing as that o-ring is inside...

Back
Top Bottom