[HELP REQUESTED] How to remove hose swivel on from second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoasterFreak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good morning pros. I purchased a used Sherwood Magnum Blizzard regulator set about 18 months ago, got it checked out by a dive ship here locally, and dove with it back in March in Cozumel off a cruise ship. I looked for the Blizzard due to my mouth dryness struggles, and it worked great for that. Bad news, there is a swivel mechanism on the hose that makes the mouthpiece really not line up with my mouth all that well (hard to explain better), and so I would like to remove it. I have tried unscrewing it at the place I thought looked like it should disconnect, but it's not budging. Dive shop is a half-hour away else I would drive it over there, and I really dont want to screw anything up on this reg. Anyone reading this have experience with this particular swivel (when I do a google search for 2nd stage swivels I'm not finding any pics like it) and can tell me where in this set of nuts and bolts I need to do the disconnect? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1795.JPG

Good morning pros. I purchased a used Sherwood Magnum Blizzard regulator set about 18 months ago, got it checked out by a dive ship here locally, and dove with it back in March in Cozumel off a cruise ship. I looked for the Blizzard due to my mouth dryness struggles, and it worked great for that. Bad news, there is a swivel mechanism on the hose that makes the mouthpiece really not line up with my mouth all that well (hard to explain better), and so I would like to remove it. I have tried unscrewing it at the place I thought looked like it should disconnect, but it's not budging. Dive shop is a half-hour away else I would drive it over there, and I really dont want to screw anything up on this reg. Anyone reading this have experience with this particular swivel (when I do a google search for 2nd stage swivels I'm not finding any pics like it) and can tell me where in this set of nuts and bolts I need to do the disconnect? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 732612
Just changing the hose my be simpler

Bad news, there is a swivel mechanism on the hose that makes the mouthpiece really not line up with my mouth all that well (hard to explain better), and so I would like to remove it.

That looks more like a QD (Quick Disconnect) rather than a swivel. Try putting two wrenches at these locations to remove the male and female QD.

1657464915399.png

Yours may not be a XS Scuba brand but most are pretty similar.
1657465033492.png

Just changing the hose my be simpler

Going to a more flexible braided hose might be worth considering if CoasterFreak's mouth is very sensitive.

A right angle adapter might also be helpful.

That looks more like a QD (Quick Disconnect) rather than a swivel....
I fully endorse this comment, and was about to say almost exactly all the same things.

That appears to be a quick-disconnect, which I'm not a fan of after using them. They're bulky, add little value, and screw/unscrewing hoses/regulators takes seconds. An "inline" or "straight" swivel would be pointless, given most regulator-hoses have a swivel on the 2nd-stage side.

Unscrewing should be counter-clockwise, and you want any two of the points (i.e. red-arrows) closest to eachother, where you can fit a wrench.

Flex-hose are awesome. DGX also has different lengths of flex-hoses.

Elbow swivel-adapters on the other hand are awesome, and the DGX ones perform well. Their $10 ones that are 90 or 70 degrees are my choice. You really don't need any of the other ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom