Best Technical Dive Training in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Tek Forum, but I really wanted a geographic focus, so....

Who (instructors / shops) provides the best technical diving training in SoCal. Specifically, I am interested in mixed gasses, decompression diving, and related education for deeper, extended dives at Truk Lagoon sometime in late '04 / early '05. Hopefully that will provide sufficient time for training and experience.

I am also trying to avoid having to fly around the country....however, if there was somebody who was REALLY GOOD, I might re-consider.

TIA

Otter

Otter once bubbled...
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Tek Forum, but I really wanted a geographic focus, so....

Who (instructors / shops) provides the best technical diving training in SoCal. Specifically, I am interested in mixed gasses, decompression diving, and related education for deeper, extended dives at Truk Lagoon sometime in late '04 / early '05. Hopefully that will provide sufficient time for training and experience.

I am also trying to avoid having to fly around the country....however, if there was somebody who was REALLY GOOD, I might re-consider.

TIA

Otter

The Diving Locker in San Diego is definite quality. (Doug Williams / owner) They are one of the oldest and well known shops and a lot of people from there have gone on to be recognized for their contributions to the sport. But you may have something closer in Orange County. The company I work for is in Brea/Fullerton but I always dive down in SD when I'm there.
I was just in Truk for 11 days in March. It was outstanding. My report: http://www.scubaboard.com/t28819/s.html

They just got helium at Blue Lagoon Dive Shop so diving drunk will no longer be a requirement. ($50/single AL80)

Being from OC myself there really is only choice IMHO.

Scuba-Toys in Cypress instructor John Walker.

i am sure if you contact the agency you want to cert with, they could help wyou out finding an instructor in the area.

I dont reccommend you spend any time at the shop below.

The only other shop i know of that would teach mix would be Open water habitat in SA off the 5 freeway.

Avoid this place like the plague. Even if you need a port plug, dont go here. Even if you need an Oring for a port plug you own dont go here. Finally, dont go here. I could literally write pages on info on why Not to shop here, but there just is not enough room to post it all.

sorry to slam the shop, but i was a regular there for years and saw alot of nasty practices to both equipment and customers.

Andy

Otter

I would recommend a GUE Tech 1 course.

In OC John Walker is a GUE Tech instructor and has been associated with Scuba Toys in Orange for a number of years. Not sure is JW is actively teaching, but if he is that is one option.

We are hoping to have Andrew Geogitsis, GUE Training Director teach a Tech 1 course here in San Diego later this year. We just have not been able to work it into his busy schedule. He is currently in Europe teaching classes.

Another option if she is teaching Tech level courses is Tamara Kendal who is a GUE Cave and Tech instructor who relocated to Solana Beach earlier this year.

A prereq to Tech 1 is DIR Fundamentals which provides a background in the Fundamental skills you will need to complete Tech 1. I am teaching one this weekend in San Diego and will have another scheduled shortly. Mike Kane and Brandon Schwartz are teaching a DIRF at Catalina the end of July. Tamara also teaches DIRF on a somewhat regular basis. She has one
scheduled in Phoenix for early August.

For more info check out the www.gue.com website. There you will find a calendar of scheduled classes and resumes/contact info for all of the GUE Instructors.

Also you might want to sign up for the LAUE email list at groups.yahoo.com group/laue and the SDUE email list at groups.yahoo.com/group/sdue. SDUE has a website at www.sdue.org.

Take care
Marc Hall
march@gue.com
www.enjoythedive.com

at the Scuba Show and in fact he is NOT actively teaching. He did recommend Tamara and I was wondier if anyone has had an training experience with her?

Thanks

Otter

Otter once bubbled...
at the Scuba Show and in fact he is NOT actively teaching. He did recommend Tamara and I was wondier if anyone has had an training experience with her?

Thanks

Otter

Tamara was (until about six months ago) teaching Cave for GUE in North Florida. While I have not done training w/ her (I like reefs & wrecks, not rocks), she has an excellent reputation and I have friends that did Cave 1 with her and said she was great. Most of them went on to do Cave 2 and I think it's a positive reflection on her that they all continued to further their training. While I think there are good instructors from all the agencies, I don't think there are any "bad" GUE instructors. GUE does not hesitate to pull the I-card if they aren't doing it right (no pun intended). I also believe she actively teaches through Diving Locker in San Diego (a shop I already mentioned).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom