Best Tech Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I trained for AN/DP with Duane Johnson (ppodiver on here - www.precisiondiving.com) and would highly recommend him. Great skills in the water, he sets the example of how one should dive at the tec level, fantastic presentations and the ability to deliver in a way the student needs to see to be able to understand. He really pushed us to be better divers and increase our envelope of comfort and our ability to deal with potential problems. He went way beyond the course standards and I really appreciate that.

BTW I didn't pass the first time through - I went to practice some skills for a few months and did a few more dives to earn my card.

+1 on this comment.

I did Advanced Nitrox/Deco with Duane a few years ago. He really does put time and energy into making the best divers out of his students. His 'trademark' phrase is that he produces 'thinking divers.' One that can understand what's happening before, during, and after the dive. Very simple philosophy that gets lost in training a lot.

In terms of his class - it's intense. I believe we did ~twice the amount of dives 'required' by the agency. You dive until you're ready to advance. Duane doesn't sugar coat any feedback, but he does provide how to resolve whatever issue the feedback is being delivered on. He includes all of the course requirements, plus throws in extras like line work. He focuses on team centric diving.

If you are in the midwest and looking for tech instruction, take the time to talk with and dive some with Duane.

There are great divers and great instructors - the two are not necessarily the same thing.

That said, there is always a place for experience - but that depends on the level of training/education you are working at.

A novice tech diver needs a great instructor. An experienced tech diver looking for specific tools, perspectives or recipes might glean more from a great diver.

The tech instructor pool is being rapidly diluted in recent years, with several big tech-provider agencies seeking to expand their instructor and instructor-trainer pool via the fast-track. The need to 'vet' potential tech instructors is becoming even more critical... as the 'zero-to-hero' mentality has now exceeded NDLs.

I'll add to the list, from personal experience:

Mark Powell (UK)
Bruce Konefe (Asia)

Ron Akeson, Adventures Down Under, herd nothing but great from this guy and he does more tech charters than any other here in Washington waters an BC waters.
Yep. Great guy. I'll be helping him run the booth at the expo on Sunday. Please do stop by and introduce yourself! Be great to meet you.

If this is a shout out to what we feel are the best Tec instructors I'd like to add in Dan Dawson from Horizon Divers. I've taken several classes from Dan and his team will continue. They are great outfit.

John

There are great divers and great instructors - the two are not necessarily the same thing.

That said, there is always a place for experience - but that depends on the level of training/education you are working at.

A novice tech diver needs a great instructor. An experienced tech diver looking for specific tools, perspectives or recipes might glean more from a great diver.

The tech instructor pool is being rapidly diluted in recent years, with several big tech-provider agencies seeking to expand their instructor and instructor-trainer pool via the fast-track. The need to 'vet' potential tech instructors is becoming even more critical... as the 'zero-to-hero' mentality has now exceeded NDLs.

I agree with you completely. I'm really not sure what the whole "tech course" thing is about. From my perspective divers should come out of their entry level training with most of the requisite skills (e.g., buoyancy, trim, gear handling, emergency procedures, rigging, buddy) and there is not a whole lot more (in-water) to be learned (stops, switches, dealing with more bottles, etc.), it is more a matter of a lot of study and practice with the very best, most of whom don't put their names out there or publish their phone numbers.

I have to say that my technical training courses have not taught much in the way of basic technique -- as you say, Thal, there is only so much to handling a bottle or doing a gas switch. What they HAVE done is to work on problem-solving skills, situational awareness, and maintaining your good skills in the face of compounding task-loading and stress. I think good instructors make students THINK and show them where their weak spots are (at least MY instructors have done that) and it is very useful. Maybe the "best" don't put out their phone numbers, but certainly, the people who I have listed in my post above are all people from whom I feel that I learned a great deal that made me a better diver.

I have to say that my technical training courses have not taught much in the way of basic technique -- as you say, Thal, there is only so much to handling a bottle or doing a gas switch. What they HAVE done is to work on problem-solving skills, situational awareness, and maintaining your good skills in the face of compounding task-loading and stress. I think good instructors make students THINK and show them where their weak spots are (at least MY instructors have done that) and it is very useful. Maybe the "best" don't put out their phone numbers, but certainly, the people who I have listed in my post above are all people from whom I feel that I learned a great deal that made me a better diver.

Agreed. Skills were taken care of early on (in what I guess you'd call an intro to tech or deep diver course). The instruction I've received since then has been more beneficial in terms of different ways to look at dive planning and contingencies. Also having the benefit of being filmed and shown where technique problems could open the door for an accident chain, etc has been helpful. At some point instruction turns away from the physical performances and toward the theoretical world of "what ifs". My experience with the higher level instructors I've worked with was far more valuable out of the water as after the discussions the in water is more of an affirmation that you understood what you sat around jawing about for the last few hours.

My experience with the higher level instructors I've worked with was far more valuable out of the water as after the discussions the in water is more of an affirmation that you understood what you sat around jawing about for the last few hours.

Funny, I'd say the exact opposite! Having my instructors create scenarios of problems and issues that we had to work through, and then debrief, has been the most valuable part of my classes. Even when things didn't go well at all, we at least learned what our weak spots were :)

I have to say that my technical training courses have not taught much in the way of basic technique -- as you say, Thal, there is only so much to handling a bottle or doing a gas switch. What they HAVE done is to work on problem-solving skills, situational awareness, and maintaining your good skills in the face of compounding task-loading and stress...

Like they say, Lynn: technical diving is 30% physical preparation, 85% mental preparation, 25% clairvoyance and the remainder is luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom