How do I get started in tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been kind of interested in tech diving for a while... Two big attractions to me: 1) the tight knit community 2) I like planning and problem solving to reach goals. Also I follow tech divers on social media and they seem to always be doing something.... interesting. Either exploring or solving some little technical problem. I am landlocked (Dallas Fort Worth Area) and the only place to dive is a quarry that maxes out at 60 feet so I am not even sure if there is much tech training to be done here.

I've toyed with... just moving to central Florida. I am a teacher, I am sure it would be easy to find teaching jobs there. And I at least of a Dive Shop in the Orlando area (Day O scuba) where people I follow do their tech stuff. So perhaps, just move and teach there for a year, knock out some tech training/perhaps my (recreational) instructor, and then... if I don't vibe with Florida move after that.

Anyways, just sort of wondering the best way to find tech training and how to approach it?

As always, tech training is about the instructor and making sure you jibe with them. . . I know TJ for Dayo, he was my IT for a couple of courses. Our philosophies on how to do things are pretty different, but he's open to learning new things.

In your neighborhood, you have Bjorn Loftis. I'd suggest giving him a call. He's smart and easygoing - I took a gas blending course from him and enjoyed it.

All of your technical training can be done in 30 feet of water. Doubles, drysuit, gas switches, etc. Then slowly move to different environments.

Technically true, but as you advance some courses will have minimum number of dives at minimum depth requirements. Best to look at that while you map your way. I had dozens of dives from 93-99' (most with bottoms of 100' or more, but I wasn't focused on "going as deep as possible"), and I found I had to make a project of accumulating dives a just few feet deeper to take a class (forget which).

Technically true, but as you advance some courses will have minimum number of dives at minimum depth requirements. Best to look at that while you map your way. I had dozens of dives from 93-99' (most with bottoms of 100' or more, but I wasn't focused on "going as deep as possible"), and I found I had to make a project of accumulating dives a just few feet deeper to take a class (forget which).
To check off boxes for whatever cert you're 100% correct, but to actually get the skills does not need to be deep. If anything, learning all that shallow is better.

Since you seem to be interested in theory and research prior to jumping into the water (and good for you), I recommend reading a few things before you get started, which you might find interesting. Check out:

- Deco for Divers by Mark Powell
- Technically Speaking by Simon Pridmore
- Scuba Physiological by Simon Pridmore
- Understanding M Values (whitepaper) by Erik C. Baker

I think the foundation to tech diving is mindset - if you are prepared to commit to moving to a new area to get trained then your on the right path - its expensive, it takes a lot of time and dedication, it demands a lot of attention in and out of water, and it requires a lot of situuational awareness and problem solving skills. Its not for everyone, but if you can find a trainer /mentor that is all about tech diving it will be easy because most instructors love teaching people that are passionate and motivated

tech diving is as much about an inward journey as it is about diving

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom