Best Tank for a Tall Guy (6'5") Al80 or lp95?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NovaScotiaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hey There,
As a relative newcomer to the board (I do a ton of reading, not much posting) and diving, I'm asking for some advice on tanks. I have the opportunity to add the final piece to my "dream of diving independently" puzzle, and I was hoping the veteran divers here could help. I have the opportunity to buy 2 different tanks:

1. Alum 80 (10 years old, brand new vis and hydro) $95
2. Faber Steel LP95 (used, current vis and hydro) $150

I am very interested in the steel, as I dive dry up here in the frigid Nova Scotian waters and would like to drop a few pounds of weight, but I've been reading a lot of posts that mention that lp95s might not work well for a vertically excellerated man such as myself (6'5"). Which off the two would be the best?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!

I think you'll find the 95s too short. I'm 5'10" and my 95s are short for me. Not that they don't work, but you might have more difficutly.

There are a few oncer's as well as questions.
Steel tanks let you louse 3 lbs of disposable weight's. A 95 LP 2400 lbs, pump it up and you have 108 ft at 3000.
On a average dive can u deco on a 80, if not go with the 95. bottom time is the key. If you need a longer tank get a boot.
I have both and use both. Long and deep I use steel. Less then 50 ft dives I use 80 Al's as the air last so long.

I haven't heard about trim issues using an lp95, but I don't get around much. :D

I'd suggest the following priorities for buying first tanks (aside from economics):
  • larger capacity (at least to match your needs and relative air consumption compared to smaller dive buddies)
  • buoyancy characteristics to suit you (close to neutral when empty appeals to me
  • multiple similar tanks (eventually, I know....)
Having plenty of air is very nice.... I'm 5'9" and use HP120's. Weigh that against any extra cost of filling a larger tank versus whether you feel the extra air will often go unused on your typical dives.

I stay in the water until I use most of mine.... :D

Dave C

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'll probably just go with 2 aluminum 80s and dive those, they should be fine for my diving needs (cold water, no deeper than 60 or 70 feet). Although, diving has taken a real hold on me (on the verge of obsessive), and I'm sure the more dives I log the longer I'll want to stay down there. But that's a thread for another day and paygrade,

Thanks again!

I think you should go with the LP95 tanks. They are almost the same height as the AL80s. So it it is a heihght issue, it will be almost the same with both tanks. The weight difference is huge. When I started diving dry I bought some LP95s because of how much weight I needed with the AL80s.

Back
Top Bottom