Best south-Charlotte (NC) Dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I've always hoped to learn to dive, and my wife has also had a similar interest. We're deciding to take the plunge this year and learn.

I know that dive shops are much like bike shops - it pays to be loyal and friendly. I'd rather learn to dive, buy gear, and get serviced regularly all at one shop (if feasible) and I'd really rather not have to drive an hour to get there.

With that in mind, our options are:
  • Neptune's Locker
  • My Scuba Adventures
  • Matthews Water Sports
  • Divers Supply (new location on 51)
  • Xplore Scuba

I've read http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ring-diving/294301-scuba-class-charlotte.html

I'm planning to hit up all those shops this weekend to talk to instructors and see if there's anyone that we particularly "click" with or that feels like a bad fit, but I was also looking for other peoples' opinions and experiences. Thanks!

I have a friend who frequents Divers Supply in S. Charlotte and speaks highly of their staff and service. He sees them as a good value. However, I fully agree with your plan to visit them all before making your decisions. Dive shops come and go frequently. I would also consider how long have they been around as an important factor. Also compare FULL PRICES of training (including cost of training dives, equipment rental, etc. so there will be no hidden surprises).

I highly recommend Scuba Ventures in Rock Hill. Mike Nichols is an excellent instructor and dive shop owner. My wife and I got certified at one of the places you listed as possibilities and it was the pits. If we had not been committed to complete the course, we would have given it up. Learning from a great instructor and one who cares more about making you a knowledgable and safe diver while enjoying the experience of learning as well as diving. Mike loves to dive and to teach. You learn in a nice indoor pool and then open water dives in either the springs in north Florida or the quarry at Lake Norman (I recommend the springs!). My wife and I are going to Cozumel again in May with Mike and several others. Before making a commitment, at least give them a call. Scuba Ventures, Mike Nichols, Rock Hill 803-322-5556 (Cell) or shop 803-328-0000.

We are looking for a shop as well. We visited many shops (Divers Supply, Paradise, the place in Bessemer City and the shop in Gastonia) before going with the shop in Gastonia. We didn't have a great experience, even after talking to the owner several times. I really do NOT want a repeat of that experience nor do I want to lose another $600. We like the guys at Divers Supply and have spoken with them many times. For those that were certified by them, can you comment? Also, edclee, can you send me a private msg on who you had a bad experience with? One word of advice, do not go with a shop offering a Groupon for the certification, or if you do, get it in writing how many students per instructor there will be and if you are on a time-line also get it in writing how long the cert should take (given that you 100% attend/participate/learn etc on your part).

Divers Supply is my shop for Scuba equipment and some dive training. They have excellent instructors and good prices. They have always been helpful for finding dive buddies for the quarry too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would avoid Paradise and Xplore scuba. As for who to go with,either Divers Supply or Scuba Ventures in Rock Hill. You will get more of a personnel feel at scuba ventures.

I know that you were looking at South Charlotte, but all of the training goes on at the Lake Norman PDRA Quarry. I would recommend Lake Norman Scuba. They are the only Padi 5 Star shop in the area. I have done all my training with them (basic certification to Dive Master) and they are an excellent shop with great staff.

I know that you were looking at South Charlotte, but all of the training goes on at the Lake Norman PDRA Quarry. I would recommend Lake Norman Scuba. They are the only Padi 5 Star shop in the area. I have done all my training with them (basic certification to Dive Master) and they are an excellent shop with great staff.

I definitely second that for open water. Andrew the shop owner will definitely get you the skills to you need. I also dive a lot with my advanced open water instructor who works for LKN Scuba who I would also recommend if you were going to take more than one course.

Garth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom