Best south-Charlotte (NC) Dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my Open Water at Diver's Supply. The class was fine. I was fortunate that there was a divemaster in training with the instructor. The instructor got frustrated with me because I had problems clearing my mask. The dive master candidate was tasked with taking me aside for "remedial mask clearing." He had me clearing my mask within 2 minutes. Found what worked for me. I just wish that more attention was given to buoyancy.

The rest of my classes are with Sink or Swim in Gastonia. Brent has a some excellent guys helping (Barry & Mark) him now. I've learned a lot from these guys. Dove yesterday at the Lake Norman quarry and had a blast. My education is continuing there. I've done Nitrox and Deep Diver. Dry suit training is coming as soon as ours comes in. Peak Performance Buoyancy as well as Navigation is planned.

I've also been on dives with Lake Norman Scuba and found them to be a friendly bunch, too. They host "fun dives" occasionally. They were very helpful in my first dives post certification.

I'd just visit around and check each shop out and see who fits you best. At Diver's Supply, the instructors don't all work for the shop, so you probably won't meet the instructor prior to your class. It's all about what makes you comfortable.

I'm not a "grouponer" so I can't speak to that. I'd just read the fine print carefully on anything. I've seen several that are strictly "discover scuba," which is not a full course, just an abbreviated class to see if scuba is for you. I did one at Open Water Adventures (on 49 near Concord Mills) prior to a Discover Scuba in Grand Cayman just to see what scuba entailed. Now I'm a Scuba Addict.

Last edited:
I did my Open Water at Diver's Supply. The class was fine. I was fortunate that there was a divemaster in training with the instructor. The instructor got frustrated with me because I had problems clearing my mask. The dive master candidate was tasked with taking me aside for "remedial mask clearing." He had me clearing my mask within 2 minutes. Found what worked for me. I just wish that more attention was given to buoyancy.

The rest of my classes are with Sink or Swim in Gastonia. Brent has a some excellent guys helping (Barry & Mark) him now. I've learned a lot from these guys. Dove yesterday at the Lake Norman quarry and had a blast. My education is continuing there. I've done Nitrox and Deep Diver. Dry suit training is coming as soon as ours comes in. Peak Performance Buoyancy as well as Navigation is planned.

I've also been on dives with Lake Norman Scuba and found them to be a friendly bunch, too. They host "fun dives" occasionally. They were very helpful in my first dives post certification.

I'd just visit around and check each shop out and see who fits you best. At Diver's Supply, the instructors don't all work for the shop, so you probably won't meet the instructor prior to your class. It's all about what makes you comfortable.

I'm not a "grouponer" so I can't speak to that. I'd just read the fine print carefully on anything. I've seen several that are strictly "discover scuba," which is not a full course, just an abbreviated class to see if scuba is for you. I did one at Open Water Adventures (on 49 near Concord Mills) prior to a Discover Scuba in Grand Cayman just to see what scuba entailed. Now I'm a Scuba Addict.

I dive with Barry the quarry manager of LKN Quarry PDRA. He is a great guy and diver and would highly recommend diving with him if ever in the area of LKN quarry. He is extremely attentive to newer divers and is a great dive master for people learning new things. Plus he is probably the best mobile dive shop EVER. He has just about every o ring and item you forgot on any given dive.

I totally agree with you, Garth about Barry. He's been so great with us. I always look forward to diving with him and his mobile scuba shop. Once the dry suit gets here and I get used to it, I will be all in for the Thursday dives!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I spent some time researching shops in the Charlotte area for my AOW, Nitrox, and a few other specialties... and finally settled with Open Water Adventures (OWA). Joe, the owner, is awesome... he's a listed contributor for many of the SSI books and authored much of the content in their new rebreather tech course. Aside from that, he has a top-notch facility (pool, classroom, shop) and is extremely friendly/patient. Although I also live closer to S. Charlotte, I'll definitely continue driving 10-15 mins to their shop for training and hopefully a dive trip sometime soon.

Check out their website for bios and pictures... good luck!

Link:
http://www.openwateradventures.com/

Oh... and if you do head up there, tell 'em Steve Zissou sent you!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom